Thousands still in dark from storm aftermath
June 30, 2012 (OSWEGO) (WLS) -- Lockport may very well be the hardest hit community from Friday night's powerful storms.
Nearly 24 hours after the storm, generators are still the only source of power.
One resident had all three of his vehicles totaled when one tree fell onto them, bringing down the power lines and blocking the street, as well.
Cleanup crews have been working non-stop since 5:30 Saturday morning, removing tree limbs from rooftops and lawns.
At the height of the storm, nearly 60,000 ComEd customers were without power all over the south suburbs. And though most have seen their electricity restored since, several thousand Lockport residents are still in the dark. Not good news considering how hot it was again today.
Businesses have also been impacted. Papa Joe's, in downtown Lockport is one of several restaurants here that spent most of the day shuttered, until power was restored late in the afternoon.
ComEd said that as of 9:30 Saturday night, 5,600 people remain without power. They said they will have crews working throughout the night as they hope everybody will have their lights turned back on by the end of Sunday.
local, michelle gallardo
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge 29 min ago
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George 30 min ago
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 15 min ago
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- Chicago man killed in Salt Lake City stabbing
- Man ID'd after fatal crash on Ryan-Skyway ramp
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout 19 min ago
- Bulls fans ready for start of playoffs
28 min ago