Thousands without power for 3rd day
July 3, 2012 (ADDISON, Ill.) (WLS) -- As of Tuesday evening, 23,800 ComEd customers are still without power that was knocked out during Sunday's storms.
Most of those are in the north and northwest suburbs.
ComEd says more than 600 crews are working around the clock to restore service.
Addison is one of literally hundreds of locations that ComEd crew workers are trying to repair because of the storm.
In this case they had to cut down trees and put in a new pole before reconnecting the line.
"In order for us start picking people up out here, we had to get this pole repaired, replaced and put all these lines back up so we could start picking up the outages," said Steve Jackson, lead ComEd crew leader.
This is the result tens of thousands of customers have been waiting for. The Koller family endured more than two days without power before getting it back this evening.
"I had to go to a friend's house, shower, do my uniform, go work. It's exhausting with this heat," said Holly Koller.
They stayed in a hotel room last night mostly so 2-year-old Jayden could sleep in air conditioning, an added expense to the mounting cost of the outage which includes 300 dollars of food they had to throw away.
"The only thing in the fridge now I think is water and ice cubes in the fridge that's it," Brian Koller said. "I lost two days of work because if it, the kids' daycare was closed."
Next door they're also thrilled to have power back, but they say they survived without.
"It was nice seeing like the difference with candles at night, cause I am not really used to that," said Stephanie Diaz. "It was like being in a different century. It was kind of fun."
local, john garcia
- Police chase, standoff closes LSD at Fullerton 38 min ago
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond 30 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 23 min ago
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Calif. billionaire buys record life insurance policy 5 min ago
- Crimea votes to secede from Ukraine, join Russia 17 min ago
- Photos: St. Patrick's Day in Chicago
- abcnews: Curious Case of L.A.'s Tattooed Ted Cruz...
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
23 min ago