Woman injured during fireworks safety demonstration
July 3, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- An accident during a fireworks safety demonstration left one woman injured after being hit in the foot by a firework that shot into the crowd.
"It hurts. Just a little spark and that's what happened so it could hurt anybody. And I was standing how far back from this," said victim Laura Barros, assistant executive director of the Illinois Fire Safety Alliance.
The demonstration involved common fireworks that anyone can buy. There was a crowd of reporters and others nearby, but no one else was injured.
"We did not mean to hurt anybody," said Chief Mike Kuryla, Hillside Fire Department. "This is very unfortunate. So I'd just like to get that message across - in any hands, train or untrained, these are very, very dangerous."
Barros went to the emergency room for treatment of what appeared to be a third-degree burn. She was released and is resting at home.
While the injury was relatively minor, the point was clear. Officials planned to demonstrate the danger of fireworks by using a sparkler to light the clothes of a mannequin on fire. Sparklers burn at up to 1800 degrees, enough to melt some metals, and enough to cause serious injury, fire officials say.
In this case, firefighters are nearby with an extinguisher. In most instances when amateurs are lighting fireworks at home that's not the case.
"Think twice before you hand a child a sparkler," said Mary Werderitch, Illinois Fire Safety Alliance.
The Illinois Fire Safety Alliance is offering safety tips for those who plan on shooting their own fireworks:
- Make sure the fireworks you shoot are legal in your area
- Keep young children away
- Only use fireworks outdoors
- Have water nearby in case of any mishaps
local, john garcia
- 2 winter storms take aim at Chicago area 35 min ago
- Missing Michigan doctor's car found in Indiana
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 37 min ago
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home 55 min ago
- Dixon to receive $9.2M restitution in Crundwell case 31 min ago
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- Indiana Toll Road reopened after truck rollover
- Elkhart native killed in NATO helicopter crash in Afghanistan
- Aurora pastor gets 12 years in prison
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates 1 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
37 min ago
- 2 winter storms take aim at Chicago area
35 min ago
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with...
39 min ago