CPS cancels all Friday summer school classes due to heat
July 5, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- All regularly scheduled Chicago Public Schools summer classes have been canceled for Friday, July 6th, due to the intense heat.
CPS officials will continue to monitor the weather and they will make a determination on classes for Monday later.
<u>Chicago Public Schools Cancels All Regularly Scheduled Summer School Classes on Friday, July 6</u>
CHICAGO - Chicago Public Schools (CPS) Chief Executive Officer Jean-Claude Brizard has ordered all regularly scheduled CPS sponsored summer school classes to be cancelled for students and teachers at all schools on Friday, July 6, 2012. School leaders and engineers are expected to report to all sites tomorrow as planned.
The decision was made based on the forecast for Friday that is expected to mirror today's temperatures that reached over 100 degrees.
"Due to reports of the excessive heat that will continue throughout Chicago again tomorrow, we have determined that it is in the best interest of our students and instructional staff to cancel summer school for all CPS sponsored sites tomorrow," said CEO Brizard.
The District will continue to monitor the heat wave, and any additional information will be disseminated once those decisions are made. We urge school communities, parents and students to continue to monitor these announcements on television, radio and the CPS web site, www.cps.edu http://www.cps.edu/, Facebook and Twitter.
CPS encourages all families to take advantage of cooling centers operated by the Chicago Department of Human Services. To find the nearest library, park field house or pool, contact 3-1-1.
Cooling centers across the Chicagoland area include:
North Area Center - 4740 North Sheridan Road
Trina Davila Center - 4345-47 West Armitage Avenue
Garfield Center - 10 South Kedzie Avenue
King Center - 4314 South Cottage Grove Avenue
Englewood Center - 845 West 69th Street
South Chicago Center - 8759 South Commercial Avenue
For more information on extreme heat preparedness, please visit the Office of Emergency Management and Communications website at <http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/oem.html.
The Chicago Public Schools serves approximately 402,000 students in more than 675 schools. It is the nation's third-largest school system.
- Red Line Reconstruction Project sees 1st rush hour test
- School closings march planned to protest CPS consolidations 59 min ago
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Burned body found inside Avondale dumpster 56 min ago
- Man accused of sexually assaulting, abusing teen girls 25 min ago
- Desiree Rogers named chair of Chicago tourism board 14 min ago
- School shooting remembered 25 years later
- Relative of murdered Chicago child fatally shot
- WWI submarine has underwater Lake Michigan grave 52 min ago
- 4 dead, 15 shot in citywide gun violence
- Shots fired, multi-car crash in Hammond Walmart parking lot
- Photos: Eva Longoria on night of wardrobe malfunction
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
- 7 in :77
- School closings march planned to protest...
59 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos