Buffalo Grove fire started by fireworks
July 8, 2012 (BUFFALO GROVE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A massive brush fire in northwest suburban Buffalo Grove was started by someone playing with fireworks, police said.
Firefighters from 25 departments were called to the area near Aptakisic and Buffalo Grove roads. Officials said the fire was fuled by the dry conditions and fast winds.
The fire spread to nearby electricial lines and knocked out services to 2,400 ComEd customers and caused $150,000 worth of damages to the lines and equipment. ComEd said services in the area have been restored.
Police arrested and charged 20-year-old Gabriel Horwich for starting the fire.
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs
- Man shot to death in Logan Square
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Baby who died after being left home alone ID'd
- Man arrested in shooting of Garfield Park pharmacist
- Chicago artist created pope's image for Time cover
- Metra UP West train delayed by freight train
- South Shore Line trains delayed by cold 55 min ago
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine
- Chicago Skyway reopened after 5 injured in accident
- Renee Fleming, Yo Yo Ma celebrate CPS arts program
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- abcnews: 911 calls in Jameis Winston case
- 7 in 77
53 min ago