Buffalo Grove fire started by fireworks
July 8, 2012 (BUFFALO GROVE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A massive brush fire in northwest suburban Buffalo Grove was started by someone playing with fireworks, police said.
Firefighters from 25 departments were called to the area near Aptakisic and Buffalo Grove roads. Officials said the fire was fuled by the dry conditions and fast winds.
The fire spread to nearby electricial lines and knocked out services to 2,400 ComEd customers and caused $150,000 worth of damages to the lines and equipment. ComEd said services in the area have been restored.
Police arrested and charged 20-year-old Gabriel Horwich for starting the fire.
- Contaminated injections traced to IL clinic
- Second video allegedly shows guard push student
- Memorial Day travel: Illinois roadways, airports busy
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- James Ealy guilty in 2006 Burger King murder
- $1.5M boat catches fire, trespasser arrested
- Distance not the issue with CPS safe passage
- South Loop shooting injures 2
- Boy runs away from attempted kidnapper at Bell
- Free Sunday parking plan faces scrutiny
- Concealed carry bill passes Illinois House
- Photos: Skagit River Bridge Collapse on I-5
- Bears to retire Mike Ditka number
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO Scolded By 9-Year-Old
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos