Soldier gets surprise welcome home
July 8, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A local soldier got a suprise welcome home Sunday on the Northwest Side.
Army Spc. Steven Varnes got a heroe's welcome from family, friends, and the Warriors' Watch Riders.
The Taft High School graduate is back after an eight-month tour of duty in Afghanistan.
After his suprise escort, Varnes and his family headed to a pizza party in Edison Park.
He'll turn 22 next Sunday.
- Students, teachers tearful as CPS closures begin
- Body ID'd as missing UofC student, 20
- LeBron headband absence could be key for Miami Heat win
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Milwaukee District West Metra trains moving, but delayed
- 'Sopranos' star James Gandolfini dead at 51 in Italy 15 min ago
- More than 8 percent of Illinois bridges structurally deficient
- State lawmakers send pension crisis to committee
- Long lines for Cook County flood assistance
- Blackhawks fans show support with lawns, office decor
- Man convicted with twin faces new sex trafficking charges
- Museum of Science and Industry marks 80th birthday
- Child luring alert issued in Albany Park
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit