Teenage girls shot on South Side
July 10, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Two girls, ages 12 and 14, have been shot on the South Side, and according to one report, a third may have been shot.
The Chicago Fire Department said two girls were shot in the incident. The fire department says one victim was shot in the stomach, the other in the leg.
The shooting happened in the 1300-block of W. 117th Street, just steps from Roseland's Cooper Park, at about 7:45 p.m. Tuesday, according to police news affairs. Police were still on the scene late Tuesday night trying to piece together exactly what happened.
There were conflicting reports as to how many girls were shot. Police news affairs have been able to confirm that a 12-year-old girl was shot in the stomach and taken to Christ Hospital and a 14-year-old girl was shot in the leg and taken to Roseland Hospital.
However, a representative from Ceasefire said a 13-year-old girl was also shot and also taken to Roseland Hospital. ABC7 was unable to confirm that Tuesday night.
Reportedly, two girls were friends and were walking to the park nearby when they were caught in the crossfire. The shooting happened a couple of blocks away from their home.
"The girls were innocent bystanders - they were on their way to play at the rec center and pretty much hang out, so they were basically victims of another crime," said Bob Jackson, director of Roseland Ceasefire. "They were innocent. They do not have any gang affiliation or anything like that."
Police confirmed that they do not believe the girls were the targets of this shooting but were caught in the crossfire between rival gangs.
local, michelle gallardo
- Chicago River dyeing a St. Patrick's Day tradition
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- Disabled lawyer devoted to making world accessible
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Early voting for primary races ends Saturday
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- CPD officer remembered as 'true blue knight'
- Kennedy Expressway reversible lanes closed Saturday
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Video: Noel O'Conner, Mayor of County Cork, Ireland
- Film offers glimpse of 1940s-era Chicago
- abcnews: Doctor Performs Illegal, Cut-Rate Butt...