Teenage girls shot on South Side
July 10, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Two girls, ages 12 and 14, have been shot on the South Side, and according to one report, a third may have been shot.
The Chicago Fire Department said two girls were shot in the incident. The fire department says one victim was shot in the stomach, the other in the leg.
The shooting happened in the 1300-block of W. 117th Street, just steps from Roseland's Cooper Park, at about 7:45 p.m. Tuesday, according to police news affairs. Police were still on the scene late Tuesday night trying to piece together exactly what happened.
There were conflicting reports as to how many girls were shot. Police news affairs have been able to confirm that a 12-year-old girl was shot in the stomach and taken to Christ Hospital and a 14-year-old girl was shot in the leg and taken to Roseland Hospital.
However, a representative from Ceasefire said a 13-year-old girl was also shot and also taken to Roseland Hospital. ABC7 was unable to confirm that Tuesday night.
Reportedly, two girls were friends and were walking to the park nearby when they were caught in the crossfire. The shooting happened a couple of blocks away from their home.
"The girls were innocent bystanders - they were on their way to play at the rec center and pretty much hang out, so they were basically victims of another crime," said Bob Jackson, director of Roseland Ceasefire. "They were innocent. They do not have any gang affiliation or anything like that."
Police confirmed that they do not believe the girls were the targets of this shooting but were caught in the crossfire between rival gangs.
local, michelle gallardo
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home