Local pastor's walk takes break in Chicago
July 14, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Chicago pastor is taking a break from his walk across America journey for a fundraiser in the city Saturday night.
Pastor Corey Brooks hosted a dinner Saturday night at Logan Art Center at the University of Chicago.
The reverend began his coast-to-coast walk in New York more than a month ago.
He's trying to raise $15 million dollars to build a new community center at the site of a former hotel on King Drive.
"As soon as we get those funds we already have plans," he said. "We have a great architect firm, Perkins & Will. They've given us a great building, a great model, a great plan. So, we're looking forward to going forward and building something really substantial."
Sunday morning, Pastor Brooks will preside over Sunday service at his own New Beginnings Church.
He is expected to be joined by Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Governor Pat Quinn as the pastor begins a 10-mile walk to Navy Pier.
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders 40 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 36 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago 36 min ago
- Obama: 2014 can be 'breakthrough year' for US 2 min ago
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- Woman falls on CTA tracks, rescued by bystanders
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores
- Man charged in Rogers Park stabbing
- Horse escapes, gallops down Old Town streets 39 min ago
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- Free pizza Friday at new Lakeview restaurant
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- ABC7 to Go, December 20, 2013
58 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
36 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
36 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos