Woman's body found off Lake Forest shore
July 15, 2012 (LAKE FOREST, Ill.) (WLS) -- The body of a woman was found in Lake Michigan Sunday after a man reported his wife missing, and police began a search.
"It could have been a swim. It could have been something else," said Jim Held, acting chief of the Lake Forest Police Department. "We don't know right now."
That's what authorities said just hours after a body believed to be that of a missing 44-year-old Lake Forest woman was pulled from Lake Michigan.
The body was discovered Sunday morning a few miles off of a beach in the northern suburb.
Calls for help began around 3:15 a.m. Sunday after the missing woman's husband flagged down an officer on patrol near Forest Park Beach.
The man told police he had gone there to look for his wife when he woke up and could not find her at their home.
He eventually found her car unoccupied in a parking lot at the town's lakefront.
While the missing woman's car and home were searched, emergency crews used night vision equipment and K-9 units to scour the park and beach.
But it was when searchers found an item of beachwear clothing near the shoreline, a woman's sarong that the missing woman's husband said is hers, that the lake search began.
Dozens of responders, divers and boats with side sonar then joined the search.
Their efforts ended at 10:15 a.m. when someone on a U.S. Coast Guard helicopter spotted a woman's body floating in the water about two miles east of the beach.
At this hour, police are still trying to determine the circumstances of her death.
Her name is being withheld pending notification of immediate family.
"We're waiting for a positive ID," Held said, but odds are that's probably who it is."
local, evelyn holmes
- Bicyclist struck, killed by car on West Side 44 min ago
- Freeze hits Chicago area, snow expected Sunday 45 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 8 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in Chicago, around world
- ComEd vault fire in West Loop
- Astor House tenants face eviction
- New church opens for fast-growing congregation
- Cancer patient without heat after power shut off
- 'Peeping Tom' caught watching woman before assault
- Dylan's electric guitar sells for nearly $1M
- Couples renew marriage vows at Field Museum
- Photos: Pearl Harbor anniversary
- abcnews: Alleged Cannibal Run Hotel With Grilling Area
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
8 min ago
- Freeze hits Chicago area, snow expected...
45 min ago
- Bicyclist struck, killed by car on West Side
44 min ago