18,720 cheesecake slices, 15K funnel cakes eaten at Taste
July 16, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The city of Chicago estimates that 1.2 million people attended this year's Taste of Chicago, and those people did their share of eating.
The crowds at the 32nd annual food fest consumed 17,600 slices of Lou Malnati's pizza, 18,720 slices of Eli's Cheesecake and 15,000 funnel cakes from the Churro Factory.
The Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special events also says Star of Siam restaurant served up 800 pounds of Pad Thai in one day and the Cubby Bear sold 960 pounds of Mac & Cheese Bites.
Bobak's says they sold enough polish sausage this year to reach to the top of the Willis Tower and back to the ground
Those were just some of the offerings at the Taste of Chicago, which wrapped up its five-day run Sunday.
It was the first year of a revamped Taste of Chicago, which was shorter and later than in previous years. Attendance was about half what it was last year, while the event was also shortened from 10 to five days.
MORE FOOD FUN FACTS
Abbey Pub - Corn - 2,500 ears
Bacinos's - Stuffed Spinach Pizza - 8,000 Slices; Thin Crust Cheese Pizza - 8,000 Slices
Billy Goat Tavern - Cheeseburger - 2,500 lbs.
BJ's Market and Bakery - Mustard Fried Catfish - 13,850 portions
Carbon sold 900 tacos per hour, or 15 tacos per minute.
Franco's Ristorante - All American Italian Ice Combo - 12,000 scoops
Gold Coast Dogs - Chicago Style Hot Dogs - 11,250 served
Lao Sze Cuan - House Special Dry Ribs - 800 lbs.
Oak Street Beach Cafe - Slipper Tail Lobster - 6,300 portions
O'Brien's - Corn - 10,080 ears
Original Rainbow Cone - Original Rainbow Cones - 30,000 cones
Reggio's Pizza - Deep Dish Pizza - 5,000 slices
Ricobene's - Breaded Steak - 8,800 portions; Boneless Buffalo Wings - 9,460 portions
Robinson's No. 1 Ribs - Rib Tips - 70,000 units; Boneless Rib Sandwich - 20,000 units
Smoke Daddy - Mini Pulled Pork and Mini Pulled Chicken Sandwiches - 15,000 servings
Star of Siam - Pot Stickers - 24,000 pieces in one day
The Fudge Pot - Chocolate Frozen Bananas - 11,000
The Noodle - Crab Rangoon - 1,500 pieces
Texas de Brazil - Chicken Wrap in Bacon - 19,000 portions
Timothy O'Toole's - O'Toole's Famous Wings - 36,000 wings; Garlic Parmesan/Sea Salt Fries - 15,000 orders
Tuscany - Italian Sausage - 1/2 Ton
Tutto Italiano - Cheese Ravioli - 35,000 Pieces; Italian Ice - 60,000 ounces
Vee Vee's - Jerk Chicken w/ Red Beans & Rice - 4,000 lbs.; Fried Plantain w/ Sauteed Goat - 2,000 lbs.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Teachers march to protest proposed school closings
- Last-minute fortune seekers buy Powerball tickets
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 51 min ago
- Blackhawks fall to Red Wings 4-1, series evened, 1-1
- Triple Crown spoiled; Oxbow upsets Orb
- Illinois Lottery bounced checks for 8 winners
- Official: 50 to 60 injured in Virginia parade crash
- 2 split $190M Mega Millions jackpot
- Shootings leave 2 dead, several injured
- Man charged with recording video in hospital bathroom
- Coast Guard reminding boaters of maritime safety
- Teens accused of assault, posting on Facebook
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
51 min ago