North Side high-rise goes without AC, water overnight
July 17, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The weather is especially rough for residents at a North Side condo who woke up with no air conditioning.
Some of the residents here are thinking of staying elsewhere with the intense heat on the way.
The problems at 4343 North Clarendon started Monday night. It is a 29-story residential high-rise near Montrose. ComEd crews have been working to fix the problem with about a half a dozen trucks.
ComEd crews on site say a transformer overheated due to hot weather and that the building's management decided to cut cooling to take an energy load off the building.
The building also lost water service overnight, but that has been restored. Elevator service is also down from four lifts to one.
ComEd officials say the issues should be fixed Tuesday morning.
"It got hot, turned the air down, didn't sleep well, woke up this morning. felt the air and noticed that it was coming out and it was pretty warm," said resident Mary Beth Lynn.
"We have probably 10 percent elderly that live here, probably 45 percent of the people have little pets, and it's getting like an oven in there," said resident Mark Hoffman.
"I'm actually leaving the house early today to get to the office early because I know they're air conditioned. I'm probably going to stay working a little longer in the hope that this will get fixed," said resident Jim D'Archangelis.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- Boy Scouts to lift ban on openly gay scouts 11 min ago
- Zachary Fardon nominated for US Attorney 43 min ago
- Antwone Price's body found in West Englewood car 24 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- CTU aims to have Emanuel ousted in 2015 15 min ago
- Bryeon Hunter mom pleads not guilty in death of son 21 min ago
- Slide tips over, injures 6 Algonquin Lakes students 31 min ago
- I-Team: Morgue donates bodies without authorization
- Chicago fast food workers protest for higher wages
- Penny Pritzker questioned at Senate confirmation hearing 28 min ago
- 4 injured in wrong-way Chicago Skyway crash 1 min ago
- Police: Drive safely, buckle up on holiday weekend
- Census bureau finds Chicago is growing, but slowly
- abcnews: IRS' Lois Lerner Placed on Leave 26 min ago
- Trump trumps grandmother in legal battle
4 min ago
- Zachary Fardon nominated for US Attorney
43 min ago
- Penny Pritzker questioned at Senate...
28 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos