North Side high-rise goes without AC, water overnight
July 17, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The weather is especially rough for residents at a North Side condo who woke up with no air conditioning.
Some of the residents here are thinking of staying elsewhere with the intense heat on the way.
The problems at 4343 North Clarendon started Monday night. It is a 29-story residential high-rise near Montrose. ComEd crews have been working to fix the problem with about a half a dozen trucks.
ComEd crews on site say a transformer overheated due to hot weather and that the building's management decided to cut cooling to take an energy load off the building.
The building also lost water service overnight, but that has been restored. Elevator service is also down from four lifts to one.
ComEd officials say the issues should be fixed Tuesday morning.
"It got hot, turned the air down, didn't sleep well, woke up this morning. felt the air and noticed that it was coming out and it was pretty warm," said resident Mary Beth Lynn.
"We have probably 10 percent elderly that live here, probably 45 percent of the people have little pets, and it's getting like an oven in there," said resident Mark Hoffman.
"I'm actually leaving the house early today to get to the office early because I know they're air conditioned. I'm probably going to stay working a little longer in the hope that this will get fixed," said resident Jim D'Archangelis.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- China: Vietnam detects signal from missing jet
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Yelp Reviews: Real or Fake?
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- ABC7's Ravi Baichwal takes part in dance event
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD