Peoples Gas warns of utility bill scam
July 17, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Peoples Gas is alerting customers about a scam which promises that a new program, authorized by the Obama administration, will pay their utility bills.
In a release, the company said the scammers use different methods including phone calls, e-mails and door-to-door visits to obtain customers' personal information.
Peoples Gas is warning customers to be vigilant since the scam can lead to identity theft and utility bills going unpaid, which can cause late fees and the disruption of service.
Customers who believes they may be a victim should contact local police.
- Oklahoma tornado kills 51, death toll expected to rise, M.E. says 15 min ago
- Detroit Red Wings beat Chicago Blackhawks 3-1
- I-Team: Expanded gambling in Illinois 11 min ago
- 1st weekday of Red Line Reconstruction
- Photos: Tornadoes hit Oklahoma, Kansas
- Shooting outside Planned Parenthood in Merrillville, Indiana
- 'Pollen tsunami' in Chicago, allergist says
- Pit bull attacks 9-year-old boy on South Side
- 87-year-old accusing Trump says, 'Somebody had to stand up to...
- Photos: Milwaukee Pug Fest 2013
- abcnews: 200-Lbs. Bear Pulled From Colorado Springs...
- I-Team: Expanded gambling in Illinois
11 min ago
- Oklahoma tornado kills 51, death toll...
15 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos