Peoples Gas warns of utility bill scam
July 17, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Peoples Gas is alerting customers about a scam which promises that a new program, authorized by the Obama administration, will pay their utility bills.
In a release, the company said the scammers use different methods including phone calls, e-mails and door-to-door visits to obtain customers' personal information.
Peoples Gas is warning customers to be vigilant since the scam can lead to identity theft and utility bills going unpaid, which can cause late fees and the disruption of service.
Customers who believes they may be a victim should contact local police.
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos