Big donation for Illinois drug treatment program
July 19, 2012 (HIGHLAND PARK, Ill.) (WLS) -- Larry Goodman of suburban Highland Park lost his granddaughter to a drug overdose, so he decided to step forward with a $1.1 million donation to keep an Illinois drug treatment program alive to help prevent other tragedies.
Governor Pat Quinn called Goodman Thursday to thank him for his generosity and will meet with him later.
Cebrin Goodman's death from a drug overdose sparked a lifetime mission for her grandfather, Larry Goodman of Highland Park.
"This was the most vibrant, pretty, intelligent woman you could hope to meet," said Goodman.
Cebrin Goodman had just graduated from college. She was 22 years old when she died of a heroin overdose 10 years ago.
"I feel a little remiss now that I didn't do anything about that substantially, before she passed away and for a while after," said Larry Goodman.
Now, however, Larry Goodman is hard at work, and backing his mission with money. In Springfield this week, Goodman donated $1.1 million to the Illinois Alcoholism and Drug Dependence Association after learning the state slashed the group's funding.
"They have a good organization, and that's where it all starts," said Goodman.
This is Goodman's latest donation -- his money has helped several programs and people, and they have thanked him in person.
And, even after donating more than a million dollars and helping a dozen organizations, Larry Goodman is not finished yet. He says he hopes the programs he helps fund will not only benefit those in Illinois, but eventually, people across the country.
local, stacey baca
- Illinois Lottery bounced checks for 8 winners
- Shootings leave 2 dead, several injured
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Protesters to march against CPS closings
- Man charged with making video in hospital bathroom 32 min ago
- Teens accused of assault, posting on Facebook
- Event to raise awareness about missing persons
- Probe begins after Conn. commuter trains crash 11 min ago
- Astronaut Lovell to dedicate Chicago memorial garden
- IRS probe ignored most influential groups
- Rose, Davies among honorees at Silver Circle Awards
- Maria's final class graduating
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos