Steger mom accused of running over, killing baby daughter in Crete accident
July 20, 2012 (CRETE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A mother from Steger inadvertently backed her minivan over her 18-month-old daughter Wednesday night in Crete, killing the girl, police said Friday. She now faces two DUI charges.
Yvette Guerrero-Silva, 40, "admitted to consuming several alcoholic beverages" prior to backing her vehicle over her daughter, Holly Silva, according to a police statement released Friday.
Guerrero-Silva is charged with two counts of Aggravated Driving While Under the Influence. Her bond was set at $1 million.
The accident happened shortly after 7 p.m. Wednesday in the 1100-block of Main Street in Crete.
Police say Holly Silva suffered massive head injuries. She was transported to St. James Hospital in Chicago Heights where she was pronounced dead.
The police press release says Guerrero-Silva was driving on a suspended license. It also said additional charges could be pending.
The press release from Village of Crete Chief of Police James Paoletti concluded with this note:
"The arrest and charging of Yvette Y. Guerrero-Silva greatly increases the physical and mental suffering brought on by this tragic event for all parties involved."
- Winning Powerball numbers announced
- Teachers march to protest proposed school closings
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 12 arrested after rowdiness reports near Michigan Avenue
- Blackhawks fall to Red Wings 4-1, series evened, 1-1
- Triple Crown spoiled; Oxbow upsets Orb
- Illinois Lottery bounced checks for 8 winners
- Official: 50 to 60 injured in Virginia parade crash
- 2 split $190M Mega Millions jackpot
- Shootings leave 3 dead, several injured
- Man charged with recording video in hospital bathroom
- Coast Guard reminding boaters of maritime safety
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos