Steger mom accused of running over, killing baby daughter in Crete accident
July 20, 2012 (CRETE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A mother from Steger inadvertently backed her minivan over her 18-month-old daughter Wednesday night in Crete, killing the girl, police said Friday. She now faces two DUI charges.
Yvette Guerrero-Silva, 40, "admitted to consuming several alcoholic beverages" prior to backing her vehicle over her daughter, Holly Silva, according to a police statement released Friday.
Guerrero-Silva is charged with two counts of Aggravated Driving While Under the Influence. Her bond was set at $1 million.
The accident happened shortly after 7 p.m. Wednesday in the 1100-block of Main Street in Crete.
Police say Holly Silva suffered massive head injuries. She was transported to St. James Hospital in Chicago Heights where she was pronounced dead.
The police press release says Guerrero-Silva was driving on a suspended license. It also said additional charges could be pending.
The press release from Village of Crete Chief of Police James Paoletti concluded with this note:
"The arrest and charging of Yvette Y. Guerrero-Silva greatly increases the physical and mental suffering brought on by this tragic event for all parties involved."
- $590M-plus Powerball: winning ticket sold in Fla
- CPS teachers continue citywide marches
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 4 dead, 15 shot in citywide gun violence
- Amtrak train from New Orleans to Chicago derails 7 min ago
- Quinn, parents of Newtown victims, speak on gun control 57 min ago
- Toddler found alone on West Side reunited with parents
- Daily Herald: Gender Pay Gap
- 12 arrested after rowdiness reports near Michigan Avenue
- Blackhawks fall to Red Wings 4-1, series evened, 1-1
- 2 split $190M Mega Millions jackpot
- Boy, 12, critically hurt in Little Village shooting
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos