Nation of Islam joins fight to stop violence in Chicago
July 23, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Members of the Nation of Islam were back on the streets of Chicago to help stop the violence.
Minister Louis Farrakhan led a march last Monday in the Auburn-Gresham neighborhood with about 500 members. This Monday, they took their message to the city's South Shore community.
Three people were killed and 26 injured this past weekend in Chicago. Community leaders say church members taking to the streets makes a difference in preventing such violence.
"I do expect them to start building a relationship with the community that needs leadership and needs the understanding, so the Nation will come in and provide some of that," said Ald. Michelle Harris, 8th Ward.
Minister Farrakhan joined a group of basketball players at Rainbow Beach Park.
"They just need to see they're loved and that's what he's showing them," said Harris.
Handing out DVDs and literature urging peaceful alternatives to violence, they hope to make a difference. Many residents are responding positively.
"People are getting killed on a daily basis and no one seems to be able to do anything about it, so at least these people are trying," said Lewis Boggus, resident.
While the religions are very different, the message is very similar to what St. Sabina members spread during their marches every Friday night this summer.
"If we covered the streets every night and all these communities were seen, I think you would begin to see the violence begin to drop drastically," said Father Michael Pfleger, St. Sabina.
local, john garcia
- Teen dead after car chase and shooting
- Ashland bridge moved to new location on Western Avenue
- South Korea ferry captain, 2 crew members arrested
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- Woman dies after being rescued from Lake Michigan
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake
- Chicago Palestine Film Festival 2014
47 min ago
- Let's Dish: German Apple Pancakes
30 min ago