NIU survivor wants to help victims of Colo. tragedy
July 23, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A man who survived the deadly NIU shooting spree in 2008 says he can relate with the victims who were hurt in the Colorado tragedy.
"Seeing that happening brings back all those memories," said Patrick Korellis.
Korellis was a student at Northern Illinois University when six people were killed at the DeKalb campus including the gunman. He says the shooting at Colorado reminded him of his traumatic experience.
Korellis says survivors from the Virginia tech shootings helped him overcome his fears. And that it takes time to heal.
"The first year is always the hardest," he said.
Korellis says he would like to talk with the family of Crystal Lake native John Larimer. The Navy sailor died protecting his girlfriend Julia Vojtsek in Colorado. She says she was saved by John's ultimate kindness.
- Oklahoma tornado death toll in Moore at 24 6 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
- ID sought for woman's body burned in Avondale Dumpster
- 2 charged in Markham man's murder
- 3 vehicles involved in Oswego head-on collision
- CTA robberies reported at Loop train stations
- Wife douses husband with beer after Wrigley home run
- Detroit Red Wings beat Chicago Blackhawks 3-1
- I-Team: Expanded gambling in Illinois
- Photos: Milwaukee Pug Fest 2013
- abcnews: See Jennifer Lawrence's 'X-Men' Look 14 min ago
- 7 in :77
- Oklahoma tornado death toll in Moore at 24
6 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos