Power restored to South Shore building after storms
July 25, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- After extreme heat that sent the temperatures into the triple digits in some parts of Chicago, strong storms were expected to hit overnight.
The heat made life miserable for people still without power from Tuesday's storms. Commonwealth Edison crews were working through the night to get the electricity back on for 1,600 people, down from 300,000..
Residents of a South Shore apartment building who had no electricity for 24 hours got relief Wednesday night.
The lights went back on in Melvin Bradford's apartment and the hum of the air conditioner never sounded so good.
"When it gets cool in here I will feel great. For right now, it's a relief," said Bradford.
The trouble started Tuesday morning after the storm at Bradford's 75-unit building.
"It's been like an oven," he said. "Just like an oven without air conditioning, without fans, it was very hot."
Power was restored Wednesday night at the Immaculate Heart of Mary Church on the South Side where Father Alex Gaitan said he brought in a cooling bus for worshippers and employees.
"It's just difficult because here we have two Masses every day," he said.
Brush fire in Bridgeview on near I-294 and 95th
It is not clear if extreme heat played a role in a small brush fire in southwest suburban Bridgeview Wednesday afternoon.
Firefighters got things under control before the fire could spread to nearby power lines.
local, eric horng
- CTU vows not to re-elect mayor over school closings
- Female in critical condition after Skyway crash 3 min ago
- Police: Drive safely, buckle up on holiday weekend
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Chicago fast food workers protest for higher wages
- Brian Urlacher retires from NFL after career with Chicago Bears
- Census bureau finds Chicago is growing, but slowly
- Northlake man to be sentenced after kids found tied
- Jurors to resume deliberations at Trump trial
- Man sentenced in murder after alleged ad for sex with pregnant...
- Wayne Miller dies at 94; photos chronicled black Chicago life
- Ex-student allegedly threatened Glenbard East HS
- 2 bodies found in car in West Englewood
- abcnews: Twitter Beefs Up User Security
- 7 in :77
- Female in critical condition after Skyway...
3 min ago