Power restored to South Shore building after storms
July 25, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- After extreme heat that sent the temperatures into the triple digits in some parts of Chicago, strong storms were expected to hit overnight.
The heat made life miserable for people still without power from Tuesday's storms. Commonwealth Edison crews were working through the night to get the electricity back on for 1,600 people, down from 300,000..
Residents of a South Shore apartment building who had no electricity for 24 hours got relief Wednesday night.
The lights went back on in Melvin Bradford's apartment and the hum of the air conditioner never sounded so good.
"When it gets cool in here I will feel great. For right now, it's a relief," said Bradford.
The trouble started Tuesday morning after the storm at Bradford's 75-unit building.
"It's been like an oven," he said. "Just like an oven without air conditioning, without fans, it was very hot."
Power was restored Wednesday night at the Immaculate Heart of Mary Church on the South Side where Father Alex Gaitan said he brought in a cooling bus for worshippers and employees.
"It's just difficult because here we have two Masses every day," he said.
Brush fire in Bridgeview on near I-294 and 95th
It is not clear if extreme heat played a role in a small brush fire in southwest suburban Bridgeview Wednesday afternoon.
Firefighters got things under control before the fire could spread to nearby power lines.
local, eric horng
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs 9 min ago
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby 15 min ago
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 1 min ago
- Boy, 7, allegedly brings loaded gun to Elgin school 12 min ago
- Metra Rock Island train hits car on South Side
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson
- Fatally shot alleged robber suspected in Harvey cop shooting
- No re-trial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice
- Mariano's holds job fairs this week in city, suburbs 23 min ago
- Santa surprises 2 young girls hurt in car crash 1 min ago
- Man shot to death in Logan Square
- Coyote attacks on small dogs reported in Wheaton
- abcnews: 911 calls in Jameis Winston case
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
1 min ago
- Boy, 7, allegedly brings loaded gun to...
12 min ago
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs
9 min ago
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby
15 min ago