Gas station clerk fatally shot during robbery
July 27, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A clerk was shot and killed early Friday morning when a robbery suspect opened fire at a gas station on Chicago's West Side.
The search continues for the gunman.
The victim has been identified as Baker Farhat, a man in his 30s. Farhat was well known and well liked by the residents in the neighborhood.
The deadly shooting took place at about 4 a.m. at the Marathon station at Washington and Homan.
"They could've just taken the money instead of taking a life," said neighborhood resident Jeannette Dobyon.
Investigators say Farhat died just two hours before his 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. shift was supposed to end. He had only been working at the fuel and food mart for two years.
"He was very nice," said neighborhood resident Loretta Willis. "I brought my grandchildren over here all the time. If you didn't have enough, he's like, 'Go ahead on.' "
Authorities say the attack happened just after 4 a.m. Relatives of the victim say they have been told that a witness says that's when two men approached Farhat, who was outside cleaning. They then forced him inside and robbed the store then shot him.
A coworker says he would have been there but left early after Farhat told him to go home.
"He just kept insisting I go home," said co-worker Tasser Uddin. "It's the month of Ramadan. He said go home and eat, it's time for you to stop eating."
Workers say there is usually a security guard on duty overnight -- except on Thursday night.
"Me and Baker was like partners," said guard Charles Garrett. "Together forever."
Relatives at the scene say, although Farhat lived locally, he traveled often to see his wife and their 7, 4, and 2-year-old daughters who all live in Jerusalem.
"Everybody in the neighborhood like him," said customer Antoinette Jointer. "(There was) nothing bad to say about him. He was like family."
It is unclear whether surveillance cameras captured any video that could lead to suspects.
local, evelyn holmes
- Memorial Day Road Race benefits military families
- 17-year-old boy killed in Austin shooting
- Deer on tracks halts Blue Line service temporarily 17 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Joliet man facing child porn charges 7 min ago
- Second video allegedly shows guard push student
- Contaminated injections traced to IL clinic
- Memorial Day travel: Illinois roadways, airports busy
- James Ealy guilty in 2006 Burger King murder
- Boy runs away from attempted kidnapper at Bell
- Concealed carry bill passes Illinois House
- Bears to retire Mike Ditka number
- Photos: Skagit River Bridge Collapse on I-5
- abcnews: Drivers Can't Face Fears, Get Lift Across... 33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos