Schaumburg woman attacked while jogging; sketch of suspect released
July 27, 2012 (SCHAUMBURG, Ill.) (WLS) -- Police in Schaumburg are looking for a man who attacked an 18-year-old woman as she was jogging.
It happened around 9:45 p.m. Thursday near Schaumburg Road and Odlum Drive.
A woman ran along the sidewalk next to Schaumburg Road Friday afternoon very near the spot where another woman says a man tried to attack her as she ran last night. It's a relatively busy road near homes and people who live here are concerned, and is well-lit at night.
"I'm a nervous wreck now, so it's pretty scary that it's so close to home and something like that can happen," said neighbor Julie Wagner.
"I just heard about this, the question about what's really going on in the neighborhood we've been here for eight years," said neighbor Jeff Wagner. "Kind of makes you start thinking."
The victim told police the man grabbed her, tore at her clothes, and pulled her to the ground. Police say they believe he intended to sexually assault her. She was able to fight him off, run to a nearby business, and call for help.
"The offender appeared to be trying to pull her off the sidewalk toward a grassy area, toward some homes, and again, she struggled with the offender, and he gave up his attack and left the area," said John Nebl of Schaumburg Police.
The victim tells police the suspect appeared to be 18 or 19 years old with short dark hair. He's about 5 foot 10 inches tall and 150 pounds. He was wearing a white tank top and navy blue work pants. After failing to pull the victim off the sidewalk he ran away.
"It is shocking that it happened period, but especially that location and that time of day is kind of stunning as well," said Nebl.
The woman was uninjured in the attack, but the suspect got away with her cell phone. Police released a sketch of the suspect.
local, john garcia
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood
- Video: I-Team Mall Security 52 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Janet Rowley, U of C cancer research pioneer, dies at 88 46 min ago
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Naperville votes to allow MMA fights, with restrictions
- Mom honors son's memory by delivering toys to sick children
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without tax breaks
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station
- Chicago FOP president suspended
- Aurora house fire injures 3; 4 dogs escape safe
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor