Boy, 10, dies after struck by boat
July 28, 2012 (LAKE VILLA, Ill.) (WLS) -- A 10-year-old boy was killed in a boating accident on a suburban lake over the weekend.
The accident happened at approximately 4:40 p.m. Saturday on Petite Lake near Lake Villa.
It appears the boy was riding with another family member on an inner tube that was being pulled along by a rented pontoon boat.
The tube might have hit a wave, causing the boy to let go, and that is when a second boat that was going by struck and killed him.
"We heard some screams. I mean it's out on the water. So, we couldn't make out what people were saying, but then came a lot of activity and the police came -- and the police boats. So, we know that something terrible has happened," said witness Diane Schmidtke.
The boy has not been identified.
Residents near the lake said it surprised them to hear anyone would be tubing on the lake at such a dangerous time of day.
"Nobody should be doing that... it's a heavy traffic area and it's horrible. It's a horrible accident" boater Bradley Hutter said.
It was not clear if the boy and his family were local to the area or just vacationing.
The Department of Natural Resources is in charge of the investigation.
- Chemical plant explosion, fire injures 2 in Alsip 14 min ago
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington Heights
- Blagojevich appeal goes before judges
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Free Mega Millions tickets in Chicago
- Man, 31, pulled from Chicago River near lake
- Body of missing Lansing man, 40, found in ditch
- 8 LSD crashes reported within 1 mile in 1 hour
- 4-year-old boy accidentally shoots himself in Gary
- I-90/94 lanes to close for bridge piers construction
- Mother charged in baby's death held on $250K bond 46 min ago
- Winter weather advisories; snow follows cold
- Bruno Mars is Billboard's top artist of 2013
- abcnews: Family: American held in Iran was CIA spy