Boy, 10, dies after struck by boat
July 28, 2012 (LAKE VILLA, Ill.) (WLS) -- A 10-year-old boy was killed in a boating accident on a suburban lake over the weekend.
The accident happened at approximately 4:40 p.m. Saturday on Petite Lake near Lake Villa.
It appears the boy was riding with another family member on an inner tube that was being pulled along by a rented pontoon boat.
The tube might have hit a wave, causing the boy to let go, and that is when a second boat that was going by struck and killed him.
"We heard some screams. I mean it's out on the water. So, we couldn't make out what people were saying, but then came a lot of activity and the police came -- and the police boats. So, we know that something terrible has happened," said witness Diane Schmidtke.
The boy has not been identified.
Residents near the lake said it surprised them to hear anyone would be tubing on the lake at such a dangerous time of day.
"Nobody should be doing that... it's a heavy traffic area and it's horrible. It's a horrible accident" boater Bradley Hutter said.
It was not clear if the boy and his family were local to the area or just vacationing.
The Department of Natural Resources is in charge of the investigation.
- Fardon nominated for US Attorney of Northern District IL 9 min ago
- Verdict reached in Donald Trump civil trial in Chicago 7 min ago
- Woman injured in Chicago Skyway crash
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Police: Drive safely, buckle up on holiday weekend
- I-Team: Morgue donates bodies without authorization
- Chicago fast food workers protest for higher wages
- CTA bus crash in Chicago Lawn injures 2
- Pritzker's Commerce Secretary confirmation hearing begins
- Brian Urlacher retires from NFL after career with Chicago Bears
- Census bureau finds Chicago is growing, but slowly
- Northlake man to be sentenced after kids found tied
- Jurors to resume deliberations at Trump trial
- 24 sets of twins break record in Wilmette 5th grade
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos