Boy, 10, dies after struck by boat
July 28, 2012 (LAKE VILLA, Ill.) (WLS) -- A 10-year-old boy was killed in a boating accident on a suburban lake over the weekend.
The accident happened at approximately 4:40 p.m. Saturday on Petite Lake near Lake Villa.
It appears the boy was riding with another family member on an inner tube that was being pulled along by a rented pontoon boat.
The tube might have hit a wave, causing the boy to let go, and that is when a second boat that was going by struck and killed him.
"We heard some screams. I mean it's out on the water. So, we couldn't make out what people were saying, but then came a lot of activity and the police came -- and the police boats. So, we know that something terrible has happened," said witness Diane Schmidtke.
The boy has not been identified.
Residents near the lake said it surprised them to hear anyone would be tubing on the lake at such a dangerous time of day.
"Nobody should be doing that... it's a heavy traffic area and it's horrible. It's a horrible accident" boater Bradley Hutter said.
It was not clear if the boy and his family were local to the area or just vacationing.
The Department of Natural Resources is in charge of the investigation.
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemo 19 min ago
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- Metra train fatally hits man on NW Side 41 min ago
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock 38 min ago
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest
- Ill. communities spurring renewable energy
- Guzman lieutenant set to plead guilty in Chicago
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Opening statements begin in general's sex trial
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Fortune cookie turns Bronx woman into millionaire
- 7 in :77