Boy, 10, dies after struck by boat
July 28, 2012 (LAKE VILLA, Ill.) (WLS) -- A 10-year-old boy was killed in a boating accident on a suburban lake over the weekend.
The accident happened at approximately 4:40 p.m. Saturday on Petite Lake near Lake Villa.
It appears the boy was riding with another family member on an inner tube that was being pulled along by a rented pontoon boat.
The tube might have hit a wave, causing the boy to let go, and that is when a second boat that was going by struck and killed him.
"We heard some screams. I mean it's out on the water. So, we couldn't make out what people were saying, but then came a lot of activity and the police came -- and the police boats. So, we know that something terrible has happened," said witness Diane Schmidtke.
The boy has not been identified.
Residents near the lake said it surprised them to hear anyone would be tubing on the lake at such a dangerous time of day.
"Nobody should be doing that... it's a heavy traffic area and it's horrible. It's a horrible accident" boater Bradley Hutter said.
It was not clear if the boy and his family were local to the area or just vacationing.
The Department of Natural Resources is in charge of the investigation.
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Wicker Park water main break gushes for hours
- Gurnee man sentenced in sex assaults of 2 kids
- Huntley teen charged, allegedly crashed SUV into home
- Truck driver who allegedly molested 11 kids sentenced
- Suit: Wrestler dating ex pushed man down stairs at custody...
- I-Team: Illinois Poison Center hotline's cry for help
- Boston bombing remembered 1 year later
- Photos: Easter traditions explained 29 min ago
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77
27 min ago