Investigation goes on after boy struck by boat, killed
July 29, 2012 (LAKE VILLA, Ill.) (WLS) -- A 10-year-old boy was killed in a boating accident on a suburban lake over the weekend.
It was supposed to be a fun-filled day on the Chain O' Lakes. Instead, it ended with the accidental death of Tony Borcia.
At his home in Libertyville Sunday, Borcia's uncles spoke for a family in mourning.
"You cannot imagine the pain that this family is going through at this time," said Joe Morrison, Borcia's uncle. "They have a lot of family and a lot of support right now and through the grace of God we'll figure out a way to get through this."
The fatal accident happened Saturday afternoon on Petite Lake in unincorporated Lake Villa. The Department of Natural Resources, which is in charge of the investigation, says that the boy fell off a tube that was being towed by his parents' rented pontoon boat. It was then that he was struck and killed by a second boat that failed to see him floating in the water.
"It's one of the worst lakes for sports activities," said Lt. Glenn Heitman of the Lake Villa dive team unit.
Heitman was on the dive team unit that responded to the call for help.
"Petite Lake in general is a very small body of water," he said. "There is a channel that goes from north to south to bigger lakes on either end so it's essentially a thoroughfare for traffic."
Residents who live in the area surrounding Petite Lake are devastated by the accident, but not all that surprised.
"None of the homeowners allow their children to be out this time of year when it's so crowded and there is so much boat traffic. It's so fast and there is no speed restriction," said resident John Ringelstein.
Department of Natural Resources hasn't said much other than to confirm the basic facts of the accident. At this point, no charges have been filed against the boater.
An autopsy for Tony Borcia was scheduled for Monday.
- China: Vietnam detects signal from missing jet 34 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store 51 min ago
- Yelp Reviews: Real or Fake?
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 32 min ago
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- ABC7's Ravi Baichwal takes part in dance event 31 min ago
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
32 min ago
- China: Vietnam detects signal from missing...
34 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift...
51 min ago
- Rare Tea Cellar stocks one-of-a-kind products
40 min ago