Investigation goes on after boy struck by boat, killed
July 29, 2012 (LAKE VILLA, Ill.) (WLS) -- A 10-year-old boy was killed in a boating accident on a suburban lake over the weekend.
It was supposed to be a fun-filled day on the Chain O' Lakes. Instead, it ended with the accidental death of Tony Borcia.
At his home in Libertyville Sunday, Borcia's uncles spoke for a family in mourning.
"You cannot imagine the pain that this family is going through at this time," said Joe Morrison, Borcia's uncle. "They have a lot of family and a lot of support right now and through the grace of God we'll figure out a way to get through this."
The fatal accident happened Saturday afternoon on Petite Lake in unincorporated Lake Villa. The Department of Natural Resources, which is in charge of the investigation, says that the boy fell off a tube that was being towed by his parents' rented pontoon boat. It was then that he was struck and killed by a second boat that failed to see him floating in the water.
"It's one of the worst lakes for sports activities," said Lt. Glenn Heitman of the Lake Villa dive team unit.
Heitman was on the dive team unit that responded to the call for help.
"Petite Lake in general is a very small body of water," he said. "There is a channel that goes from north to south to bigger lakes on either end so it's essentially a thoroughfare for traffic."
Residents who live in the area surrounding Petite Lake are devastated by the accident, but not all that surprised.
"None of the homeowners allow their children to be out this time of year when it's so crowded and there is so much boat traffic. It's so fast and there is no speed restriction," said resident John Ringelstein.
Department of Natural Resources hasn't said much other than to confirm the basic facts of the accident. At this point, no charges have been filed against the boater.
An autopsy for Tony Borcia was scheduled for Monday.
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Gay marriage at center of 81st District GOP race
- CTA: Ventra cards only possible by end of March
- Alvarez, Kirk call to end online sex trafficking
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits 44 min ago