Crime and concern up in Old Town
July 30, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- People in Chicago's Old Town are concerned about the neighborhood's growing number of assaults and break-ins, and a community meeting is being held at the Old Triangle Association Monday night to discuss crime problems.
Colleen Kamin has lived in the city for more than 40 years. She lives in the 1400 block of Sedgwick in Old Town and said she is concerned about the increase of crime in her area. She said she is going to buy a gun and take lessons on how to use it safely.
Kamin intends to keep the gun in her home.
"I know in Chicago we have to jump through more hoops to get a gun," she said. "I don't really care about that issue, I'll jump through all the hoops necessary to use it safely and keep myself safe."
"When I do come outside, I go to the store and I go right back in the house," said fellow Old Town resident Jeanette Lymas. "I just don't feel safe."
"A friend of mine in my building, a girl, was just robbed riding her bike down to the beach at 3 o'clock in the afternoon," said Old Town resident Charlie Schramer. "Now, she's going to buy a firearm and take training classes to use it."
Organizers are expecting a full house at the Old Town Association with residents hearing about a recent mugging that took place. They're going to meet the victim, hear her side of the story and what precautions they should be taking to be safe on the streets.
Police confirmed that on July 22 on the 300 block of West Monomoy Street at 7:30 a.m. an offender approached a female jogger from behind and attempted force her into a nearby alley with a knife.
The victim screamed and offender ran off.
Police captured the offender, who was charged with aggravated battery and aggravated unlawful restraint.
There have been a rash of break-ins in the area that has police telling people to keep their doors locked, windows closed and be cautious of where you are.
local, theresa gutierrez
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing rain
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos