Pittsburgh woman, 19, dies from being hit by tire
PITTSBURGH (AP) - August 1, 2012 -- A 19-year-old Pittsburgh woman has died after being hit by a tire that came off another vehicle and hit the car she was driving on Interstate 376.
Katie Puwalowski died Tuesday afternoon at UPMC Mercy hospital where she was taken after the accident Monday night on what's known locally as the Parkway West.
That's where police say a tire fell off another vehicle traveling in the opposite direction, bounced over a concrete barrier, and hit the roof of Puwalowski's car, which was traveling in the other direction.
State police are still investigating, but say her passenger was able to safely steer the car off the highway. Puwalowski's passenger was treated and released from a hospital, and the driver of the Jeep Grand Cherokee which lost the tire wasn't hurt.
accident, pennsylvania, local/state
- 'Electric Daisy Carnival' keeping area residents up all night
- Chicago honors military in Memorial Day Parade
- 17-year-old boy killed in Austin shooting
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Friends, family of murder victim pray to end the violence
- Pets from Oklahoma shelter headed to Chicago for adoption
- Memorial Day Road Race benefits military families
- Step back in time at 'Wild West Town' in McHenry County
- Man charged for arson, burglary of $1.5 million boat
- FEMA teams look for flood damage on South Side
- Jackson, Rainbow PUSH Coalition criticize school closings
- Notre Dame QB Golson no longer enrolled at school
- Missouri freight train crash injures at least 7, collapses...
- abcnews: Drivers Can't Face Fears, Get Lift Across...
abc7chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos