Bond denied in former CPS hoops star's murder
August 2, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The suspect charged in the shooting death of a Chicago high school basketball standout is expected in bond court Wednesday.
Haynes, 22, was shot to death while trying to break up a fight over a necklace. Cinque Lee, 20, of the 11600-block of South Vincennes, is charged with first-degree murder. Prosecutors say Haynes and Lee were friends.
"We got a friend we have to bury tomorrow. And [Lee] is sitting in jail with no bond," Victor Scott.
"Mike is my relative and . . . I knew Cinque before he became a victim of the street," Tonya Green said.
" He murdered somebody that was a beloved friend of his," Aliczai Christian, Haynes' friend, said.
The prosecutor said that several witnesses identified lee as the shooter.
Haynes, who played basketball for Washington High School, was days away from moving to New York to play Division I college basketball at Iona College.
"We are losing too many of our youth to the streets, and this is not acceptable. We need to do something about this," Green said.
Haynes' younger brother, Brian, allegedly threatened retaliation after his brother's murder. He is now in custody, charged with four counts of home invasion with the discharge of a firearm.
Hayne's father, Lewis, said he is trying to raise money for his younger son's defense.
local, theresa gutierrez
- Illinois Lottery bounced checks for 8 winners
- Illinois Senate approves medical marijuana bill
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling 51 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Karen Lewis re-elected head of Chicago Teachers Union
- Winning Mega Millions numbers announced
- CTA: Orange Line service resumes
- 4 men charged with murder of Chicago sailor in Bahamas
- New York City commuter trains collide in Connecticut
- Preckwinkle criticizes, questions CPS closures plan
- 2 rescued from capsized boat in Lake Michigan
- Thousands of area debit card users target of phishing calls
- 2 dead in Chicago Heights fire identified
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin