IDOT worker hurt in hit-and-run on Dan Ryan Expressway
August 7, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- An IDOT Minuteman remains in critical condition after he was struck by a car while helping a stranded motorist early Tuesday.
"Please come to the state police, please identify yourself," Lissette Alba, Minuteman's sister, said.
Miguel Silva, 42, is hospitalized with a fractured leg, broken arm and internal bleeding. He was helping someone with a flat tire around midnight Tuesday when he was struck.
"[He] had hooked up the back of that vehicle to his truck and was operating the controls when he was struck by a passing vehicle," Lt. Paul Riggio, Illinois State Police, said.
According to IDOT, Silva was on an elevated portion of the southbound Dan Ryan near 26th Street in an area where there is no shoulder. Officials say whoever hit him sped away and Illinois State Police are asking for help to find the person responsible.
"State police and IDOT work together as a unit every night this is very important to us as a family," Lt. David Byrd, Illinois State Police, said. State police say they are looking for a grey vehicle, possibly a Nissan, possibly with damage to the right front side. Anyone with information that can lead to its driver is encouraged to call 847-294-4400.
Silva, is an Army veteran of the first Gulf War. He's been with IDOT since 2006.
"My brother is a family man. We have a lot of friends and family and have a lot of people praying for him," Alba said.
local, michelle gallardo
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Bad Wolf Coffee offers French caneles
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- YMCA in Naperville gears up for 'Healthy Kids Day'
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home