IDOT worker hurt in hit-and-run on Dan Ryan Expressway
August 7, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- An IDOT Minuteman remains in critical condition after he was struck by a car while helping a stranded motorist early Tuesday.
"Please come to the state police, please identify yourself," Lissette Alba, Minuteman's sister, said.
Miguel Silva, 42, is hospitalized with a fractured leg, broken arm and internal bleeding. He was helping someone with a flat tire around midnight Tuesday when he was struck.
"[He] had hooked up the back of that vehicle to his truck and was operating the controls when he was struck by a passing vehicle," Lt. Paul Riggio, Illinois State Police, said.
According to IDOT, Silva was on an elevated portion of the southbound Dan Ryan near 26th Street in an area where there is no shoulder. Officials say whoever hit him sped away and Illinois State Police are asking for help to find the person responsible.
"State police and IDOT work together as a unit every night this is very important to us as a family," Lt. David Byrd, Illinois State Police, said. State police say they are looking for a grey vehicle, possibly a Nissan, possibly with damage to the right front side. Anyone with information that can lead to its driver is encouraged to call 847-294-4400.
Silva, is an Army veteran of the first Gulf War. He's been with IDOT since 2006.
"My brother is a family man. We have a lot of friends and family and have a lot of people praying for him," Alba said.
local, michelle gallardo
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood 17 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 8 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines 55 min ago
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids 49 min ago
- Employees, customers prepare for Dominick's final days
- Midlothian's The Tint Shop burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- Gov. Quinn looks back on 2013
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
8 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos