Woman, 76, falls through manhole
August 8, 2012 (PALATINE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A woman who fell through a suburban manhole may have been saved by her cell phone.
The incident happened Monday in Palatine behind a supermarket near Hicks and Dundee.
The cover of the manhole was missing.
The 76-year-old woman fell about twelve feet and used her phone to call the emergency dispatcher.
Because she wasn't clear on where she was it took a long time to find her.
The woman was not seriously injured.
Police say the owner of the property was notified of the missing cover on Friday but didn't order a replacement until Monday after the accident.
local, eric horng
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm 22 min ago
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 46 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 20 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to...
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
46 min ago
- ABC7 to Go, March 11, 2014
16 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side...
20 min ago
- Coast Guard cutter Mobile Bay goes to work...
9 min ago