Woman, 76, falls through manhole
August 8, 2012 (PALATINE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A woman who fell through a suburban manhole may have been saved by her cell phone.
The incident happened Monday in Palatine behind a supermarket near Hicks and Dundee.
The cover of the manhole was missing.
The 76-year-old woman fell about twelve feet and used her phone to call the emergency dispatcher.
Because she wasn't clear on where she was it took a long time to find her.
The woman was not seriously injured.
Police say the owner of the property was notified of the missing cover on Friday but didn't order a replacement until Monday after the accident.
local, eric horng
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- Cragin on alert after girl beaten, sexually assaulted
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Chicago FOP president suspended 23 min ago
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Boy, 16, critically wounded in Little Village shooting
- Report: CPS headquarters could move
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago
- Rodman returns to N. Korea on basketball diplomacy trip 56 min ago
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd 23 min ago
- Submit Your Holiday Lights Photos/Video to ABC7
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor