Woman, 76, falls through manhole
August 8, 2012 (PALATINE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A woman who fell through a suburban manhole may have been saved by her cell phone.
The incident happened Monday in Palatine behind a supermarket near Hicks and Dundee.
The cover of the manhole was missing.
The 76-year-old woman fell about twelve feet and used her phone to call the emergency dispatcher.
Because she wasn't clear on where she was it took a long time to find her.
The woman was not seriously injured.
Police say the owner of the property was notified of the missing cover on Friday but didn't order a replacement until Monday after the accident.
local, eric horng
- $19.6M settlement in priest sex abuse lawsuit
- Video: Wednesday @ 6AM: Saving on Gas?
- Video: Tonight @ 10 PM: Extreme Bridal Makeovers
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Program Note: Wheel of Fortune will air at 2:05 a.m.
- Schaumburg couple survived Oklahoma tornado 8 min ago
- Roseland Hospital to lay off 68
- Old Orchard Mall shooting 'not a random act'
- Trial begins in Burger King manager's 2006 murder
- Florida man pleads guilty in Bears fan death
- 'Bishop bomber' sentenced to 37 years in prison
- CPS protests continue ahead of key school closings vote
- Photos: Tornadoes hit Oklahoma, Kansas
- Photos: Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos