Babysitter charged with murder in 3-month-old's death
August 9, 2012 (WAUKEGAN, Ill.) (WLS) -- A babysitter has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of a 3-month-old girl.
On Friday, July 27, 2012 the Waukegan Police and Waukegan paramedics responded to the 1100 block of Bob O'Farrell Lane in reference to a call of an infant child not breathing.
When paramedics arrived they discovered an unresponsive, 3-month-old female infant. Paramedics transported the child to Vista East Medical Center, where she was pronounced deceased at 5:10 p.m.
A subsequent autopsy revealed the cause of death was blunt force head trauma that caused a skull fracture and cranial hemorrhaging.
Waukegan Police Investigators interviewed the child's babysitter, Sarah Gumm, 33 years of age, of the 1100 block of Bob O'Farrell. Gumm provided a voluntary statement to investigators admitting that her actions were responsible for the injury to the child.
Gumm was charged with 1st degree murder and appeared in bond court on Friday, August 3rd where bond was set at $3,000,000.
During the investigation, detectives were told by the victim's parents that Gumm had been caring for the child in her home for the last six weeks and that they found Gumm online where she was advertising her services.
- Dominick's offers more discounts as stores close 5 min ago
- Target credit card breach causes anger, frustration 37 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Rogers Park stabbing leaves woman, 21, blind; man charged 16 min ago
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Deck the malls with security
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos