Lakeview teacher charged with beating his dog to death
August 10, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Chicago teacher apparently became angry with his dog because he wouldn't take a bath. Now, 25-year-old Derek Fierro is charged with killing his pet.
A Chicago public school elementary teacher admitted to police that he beat his dog to death because he came home and found that the dog had eaten all the papers in the home, soiled inside the home and refused a bath.
Fierro, who lives in Lakeview, called 911 to report his dog's death. When they arrived at his home, police say, Fierro admitted he punched his dog to death and led police to the trunk of his car where he had placed the Labrador-Chow mix.
Police say Fierro was crying and said he was sorry about killing his dog. He was charged with aggravated cruelty to animals
Fierro, a teacher at Eugene Field Elementary School in East Rogers Park, adopted the dog when it was only a few months old from Chicago Canine Rescue.
The shelter named the dog "Doc" because he was part of a litter of seven puppies and said they would have taken it back.
"We reviewed his application and even did a home visit," said shelter founder Lisa Klotinia. "It was unbelievable to hear the news this morning, and we looked it up, and it was our dog."
After doing an extensive background check on Fierro, and visiting him at home, they thought the dog and adoptee were a perfect match.
"I do not know what we could have done to prevent this," said Klotinia. "After all, he is an elementary school teacher. What else could you ask for, considering the search CPS must have done?"
"I do not know if someone like that should be teaching, because he has some self control issues," said East Rogers Park resident Dave Kolin.
The shelter wants the remains of the dog given a proper burial.
Chicago Public Schools Inspector General James Sullivan said they are investigating the incident, which could lead to disciplinary action against the teacher.
local, theresa gutierrez
- Woman sexually abused in Mayfair park
- Food additive believed to be substance at Dunes beach 19 min ago
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat have no room for error
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 4 min ago
- Chicago Shooting Count: 8 shot in 9 hours Monday
- CTU president calls for tax changes to fund schools 2 min ago
- Chicago man creates smartphone safety app 16 min ago
- Supreme Court grants Madigan more time on guns
- Lombard's Los Burritos Mexicanos still closed after E. coli cases 16 min ago
- Might you be overpaying for smartphone data? 36 min ago
- Bruins beat Blackhawks in NHL finals Game 3
- UofC biochem student missing 6 days
- Car slams into Sauk Village apartment, sleeping couple injured 47 min ago
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
4 min ago
- CTU president calls for tax changes to fund...
2 min ago
- Chicago man creates smartphone safety app
16 min ago
- Car slams into Sauk Village apartment,...
47 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos