Midway baggage handler charged with laptop thefts
August 11, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A baggage handler at Midway Airport has been charged with stealing laptop computers from passengers.
Salvador Johnson, of Gary, Ind., faces a felony count of theft and could get up to five years in prison if found guilty.
The Cook County State's Attorney's Office said Saturday the investigation began after numerous complaints of thefts of laptops belonging to Southwest Airlines customers.
Police identified Johnson as a suspect. Prosecutors say his work station was near a security screening area where he could see what types of computers were in specific bags and later steal them.
Authorities say a search of his home turned up numerous Apple and other laptops as well as records showing he pawned many computers.
No one answered the phone Saturday at a listing for Johnson.
- Teachers march to protest proposed school closings
- Last-minute fortune seekers buy Powerball tickets
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 59 min ago
- Blackhawks fall to Red Wings 4-1, series evened, 1-1
- Triple Crown spoiled; Oxbow upsets Orb
- Illinois Lottery bounced checks for 8 winners
- Official: 50 to 60 injured in Virginia parade crash
- 2 split $190M Mega Millions jackpot
- Shootings leave 2 dead, several injured
- Man charged with recording video in hospital bathroom
- Coast Guard reminding boaters of maritime safety
- Teens accused of assault, posting on Facebook
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
59 min ago