Woman found shot to death at Whitehall Hotel in Gold Coast neighborhood
August 13, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A 22-year-old Texas woman was found shot to death Monday in a Gold Coast hotel room.
The body was discovered Monday morning at the Whitehall Hotel on E. Delaware. Early in the day, police were calling the incident a death investigation, but around 4:30 p.m. Monday they had reclassified it as a murder.
There is a tentative identification on the victim. The identification is not being released because next of kin have not yet been notified, but the Medical Examiner's office is saying she is 22 and from Dallas, Texas. She suffered a gunshot wound to the head and was found dead in her 7th floor hotel room.
It is not yet clear who discovered the body, whether hotel staff or someone else, but the 911 caller at 10:00 a.m. said the woman was not conscious and non-responsive.
Crime scene investigators spent several hours processing the hotel room. They left Monday afternoon with what appeared to be a piece of luggage and other crime scene evidence that had been bagged up for further study.
Police Monday afternoon were saying very little and the hotel is not commenting at all, so it is unknown when the young woman from Dallas checked in or what the purpose in coming to Chicago might have been.
Hotel guests ABC7 spoke with Monday did not know much of anything; no one heard anything suspicious until we told them, but police continue to investigate after having canvassed the neighborhood.
local, paul meincke
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water main break
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Larkin High School poms squad honored
- Chicago glows green ahead of St. Patrick's Day
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits