Woman found shot to death at Whitehall Hotel in Gold Coast neighborhood
August 13, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A 22-year-old Texas woman was found shot to death Monday in a Gold Coast hotel room.
The body was discovered Monday morning at the Whitehall Hotel on E. Delaware. Early in the day, police were calling the incident a death investigation, but around 4:30 p.m. Monday they had reclassified it as a murder.
There is a tentative identification on the victim. The identification is not being released because next of kin have not yet been notified, but the Medical Examiner's office is saying she is 22 and from Dallas, Texas. She suffered a gunshot wound to the head and was found dead in her 7th floor hotel room.
It is not yet clear who discovered the body, whether hotel staff or someone else, but the 911 caller at 10:00 a.m. said the woman was not conscious and non-responsive.
Crime scene investigators spent several hours processing the hotel room. They left Monday afternoon with what appeared to be a piece of luggage and other crime scene evidence that had been bagged up for further study.
Police Monday afternoon were saying very little and the hotel is not commenting at all, so it is unknown when the young woman from Dallas checked in or what the purpose in coming to Chicago might have been.
Hotel guests ABC7 spoke with Monday did not know much of anything; no one heard anything suspicious until we told them, but police continue to investigate after having canvassed the neighborhood.
local, paul meincke
- Van driver dies in fiery CTA bus crash, ID'd as Eric West, Jr.
- 2 officers struck by car in West Side alley
- Carla Oglesby, ex-Todd Stroger aide, gets 6.5 years
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978
- Chase preceded Roseland bus stop crash that injured 5
- Man arrested after Kilbourn Park standoff with kids, dog
- Maywood man charged in fatal West Side hit-and-run
- Park Ridge pole crash causes power outage
- Chicago Bulls fall to Wizards 101-99 in OT
- 1957 murder convict Jack McCullough files appeal
- Photos: Van driver dies after CTA bus crash in...
- Photos: "That happened how?" Bizarre mix-ups
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos