Bartlett man charged in boating crash that killed boy
August 14, 2012 (WAUKEGAN, Ill.) (WLS) -- A Bartlett man has been charged in a boating crash that killed 10-year-old boy Tony Borcia last month in Petite Lake in Lake County.
The boat's driver has been charged with reckless homicide and driving under the influence.
Fifty-year old David Hatyina is now being held in Lake County jail on a $1 million bond, charged with reckless homicide and aggravated DUI.
Prosecutors said Hatyina was driving at excess speed when he hit Borcia the afternoon of July 28 on Lake Petite, near Lake Villa.
According to investigators Borcia had been riding an inner tube that was being towed by his father's pontoon boat.
Borcia let go and as his father turned the boat around to pick him up, Hatyina's sped right at him on a 29-foot power boat. Prosecutors said Tuesday that Borcia's family yelled and waved their arms to alert the boat driver that the boy was in the water in front of him, but to no avail.
In a statement released by Borcia's family after court, they said in part "the events that transpired on petite lake turned our worlds upside down and changed our lives forever. It is the system of justice that we now rely on to punish this individual for killing our sweet and innocent Tony and deter others from acting with such conscious disregard for the safety of our children."
Borcia was one of four siblings out on the lake that afternoon. He would have entered fifth grade at Libertyville's Butterfield School this fall.
local, michelle gallardo
- Boy pulled from pond after 90 minutes dies 13 min ago
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas 10 min ago
- Blackhawks lose heartbreaking 3OT STL Game 1
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti 32 min ago
- Boy, 12, among 8 shot across city
- Mumps reports spike across Illinois
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Lawsuit filed against cops accused of lying in court
- Good Friday 2014 marked in Jerusalem, around world
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, pioneer of magical realism, dead at 87
- Photos: 13-pound baby boy born in Philly suburb
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
- CPD adds bikes to "Operation Impact" foot...
10 min ago
- 7 in :77