12-year-old hit by bullet while doing homework
August 16, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A 12-year-old was wounded in the leg as she was doing her homework after gunfire erupted in the city's Marquette Park neighborhood.
Crystal Booker is recovering after being struck by a bullet in the 6500-block of South Talman on the front porch of her family's home Wednesday night around 6:30 p.m.
Police say the gunman fired nearly a dozen shots at the home. No one in custody.
"She told me she was doing fine, but she said she was in a lot of pain," said Aelicia Booker, Crystal's cousin.
Witnesses say it was after Crystal was joined by several other family members and friends that shots rang out.
"There were babies, there were kids out here. They were playing ball and everything," said Nelly Aparcio, family friend. "I was over there in the park and I guess they were just shooting. We seen everybody run and then I guess the shooter ran that way."
Crystal's cousin says the bullet passed through her right thigh. The girl was taken to an area hospital where she was treated and released.
Meanwhile, her friends say they can't believe the 7th grader was the intended target of the attack. Relatives say she headed back to class on Monday and is a straight A student at Claremont Academy Elementary School.
"To me, it scared me," said Booker. "It scared me like so, so bad."
local, evelyn holmes
- Memorial Day Road Race benefits military families
- 17-year-old boy killed in Austin shooting
- Deer on tracks halts Blue Line service temporarily
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Joliet man facing child porn charges
- Missouri freight train crash injures at least 7, collapses...
- Robbie Rogers heading to Galaxy as league's 1st openly gay...
- Second video allegedly shows guard push student
- Contaminated injections traced to IL clinic
- Memorial Day travel: Illinois roadways, airports busy
- James Ealy guilty in 2006 Burger King murder
- Concealed carry bill passes Illinois House
- Photos: Skagit River Bridge Collapse on I-5
- abcnews: Drivers Can't Face Fears, Get Lift Across...
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos