12-year-old hit by bullet while doing homework
August 16, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A 12-year-old was wounded in the leg as she was doing her homework after gunfire erupted in the city's Marquette Park neighborhood.
Crystal Booker is recovering after being struck by a bullet in the 6500-block of South Talman on the front porch of her family's home Wednesday night around 6:30 p.m.
Police say the gunman fired nearly a dozen shots at the home. No one in custody.
"She told me she was doing fine, but she said she was in a lot of pain," said Aelicia Booker, Crystal's cousin.
Witnesses say it was after Crystal was joined by several other family members and friends that shots rang out.
"There were babies, there were kids out here. They were playing ball and everything," said Nelly Aparcio, family friend. "I was over there in the park and I guess they were just shooting. We seen everybody run and then I guess the shooter ran that way."
Crystal's cousin says the bullet passed through her right thigh. The girl was taken to an area hospital where she was treated and released.
Meanwhile, her friends say they can't believe the 7th grader was the intended target of the attack. Relatives say she headed back to class on Monday and is a straight A student at Claremont Academy Elementary School.
"To me, it scared me," said Booker. "It scared me like so, so bad."
local, evelyn holmes
- Wind Chill Advisory in effect for city, suburbs 4 min ago
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn; no winner
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 12 min ago
- Accident closes Chicago Skyway inbound lanes, 5 injured 34 min ago
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead 1 min ago
- Proposed law on gun sentencing tweaked 58 min ago
- Pope honored as Catholics gather at Our Lady of Guadalupe
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from...
- Rod Blagojevich's wife Patti 'feeling hopeful' for appeal
- Alleged robber shot, killed by store owner ID'd
- Cops: Drunk ambulance driver caused Uptown crash 40 min ago
- Sen. Kirk released after gall bladder surgery
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
12 min ago
- Wind Chill Advisory in effect for city,...
4 min ago
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead
1 min ago