Death of man mauled by dogs ruled accidental
August 16, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A 44-year-old man died after being mauled by two dogs that were in his South Side home in the 600-block of South Racine.
The medical examiner ruled Charles Hagerman's death was an accident.
Hagerman was found dead inside his home Wednesday night after suffering multiple dog bites including to the neck.
Animal Control removed from the residence two pit bulls, which Hagerman's relatives say belonged to his girlfriend's son.
Hagerman's death has left his family stunned.
"I can't see my baby. My baby's ate up. I can't see him. Okay, I've got to have a closed casket," said Salithia Maybell, mother.
"They were vicious dogs. They lived right up there. They killed a dog right there," Maybell continued. "They've attacked before."
Hagerman's relatives say he was scared of the pit bulls, one of them an adult, the other a puppy, which, according to Hagerman's relatives, were kept in a cage.
"He said he don't mess with the big dog because he's too vicious. He bite people that he ain't know," said Zarquil Boston, niece.
Hagerman's relatives say he had a history of seizures and that he may have suffered one, alarming one of the dogs.
"First reaction of a dog is to jump on defense, and that's what happened. But nevertheless, they mauled him to death," said Leonard Thompson, neighbor.
"I want to see them put to sleep," said Maybell.
Maybell says this was her second trip to the morgue in less than a week. A couple days ago, she said she lost a grandson to gun violence.
local, eric horng
- Students, teachers tearful as CPS closures begin
- Body ID'd as missing UofC student, 20
- LeBron headband absence could be key for Miami Heat win
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Milwaukee District West Metra trains moving, but delayed 57 min ago
- 'Sopranos' star James Gandolfini dead at 51 in Italy 2 min ago
- More than 8 percent of Illinois bridges structurally deficient 59 min ago
- State lawmakers send pension crisis to committee
- Long lines for Cook County flood assistance
- Blackhawks fans show support with lawns, office decor
- Man convicted with twin faces new sex trafficking charges
- Museum of Science and Industry marks 80th birthday
- Child luring alert issued in Albany Park
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
- More than 8 percent of Illinois bridges...
59 min ago