Death of man mauled by dogs ruled accidental
August 16, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A 44-year-old man died after being mauled by two dogs that were in his South Side home in the 600-block of South Racine.
The medical examiner ruled Charles Hagerman's death was an accident.
Hagerman was found dead inside his home Wednesday night after suffering multiple dog bites including to the neck.
Animal Control removed from the residence two pit bulls, which Hagerman's relatives say belonged to his girlfriend's son.
Hagerman's death has left his family stunned.
"I can't see my baby. My baby's ate up. I can't see him. Okay, I've got to have a closed casket," said Salithia Maybell, mother.
"They were vicious dogs. They lived right up there. They killed a dog right there," Maybell continued. "They've attacked before."
Hagerman's relatives say he was scared of the pit bulls, one of them an adult, the other a puppy, which, according to Hagerman's relatives, were kept in a cage.
"He said he don't mess with the big dog because he's too vicious. He bite people that he ain't know," said Zarquil Boston, niece.
Hagerman's relatives say he had a history of seizures and that he may have suffered one, alarming one of the dogs.
"First reaction of a dog is to jump on defense, and that's what happened. But nevertheless, they mauled him to death," said Leonard Thompson, neighbor.
"I want to see them put to sleep," said Maybell.
Maybell says this was her second trip to the morgue in less than a week. A couple days ago, she said she lost a grandson to gun violence.
local, eric horng
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Officials probe potential threat on Delta flight
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Woman rescued from Lake Michigan near Jackson
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Pilsen parishes join together for Good Friday procession
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake