Alert issued after attempted sex assault in Lakeview
August 16, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police have issued an alert about an attempted sexual assault after a man broke into a home on Chicago's North Side and tried to assault a woman.
According to authorities, the man in his 20s or 30s broke into a residence in the 800-block of West Newport around 5 a.m. Thursday. He tried to sexually assault a 25-year-old woman inside but was interrupted and fled when the commotion awakened another female resident.
Investigators have released only a vague description of the suspect, who managed to steal some items from the home.
Residents on the block of mostly three-flat rentals say they're glad police have issued an alert.
"Just keep locking my door. Obviously it's worrisome if someone's breaking in, trying to steal property or trying to sexually assault individuals," said Farjad Yousaf, Lakeview resident.
"That is scary, and I'm thinking at 5 a.m. this morning, I was still sleeping. So it is quite a concern," said Denise Bernardo, Lakeview resident. "Just be alert of our surroundings and try to get a good night's sleep I guess."
"You just have to keep your guard up. But your guard goes down when you're in your own apartment, so I can't imagine going through something like that," said Jamison Miles, Lakeview resident.
On Thursday night, the Guardian Angels were out in the neighborhood where the crime took place.
"It's pretty crazy, and it's definitely horrible to hear about. But we live in a huge city, and these things happen," said Claire Schaul, Lakeview resident.
Anyone with information about this crime is asked to contact Chicago police.
local, eric horng
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 1 dead in fire at Woodstock residence
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- 'Shady Bandit' suspected in North Side bank robbery
- Chicago Tribune endorses Bruce Rauner in GOP primary
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Kustok's daughter not called to stand as defense begins
- Jewel-Osco buys 5 former Dominick's stores
- Elmhurst Armpit Orchestra in St. Patrick's Day parade
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant