Alert issued after attempted sex assault in Lakeview
August 16, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police have issued an alert about an attempted sexual assault after a man broke into a home on Chicago's North Side and tried to assault a woman.
According to authorities, the man in his 20s or 30s broke into a residence in the 800-block of West Newport around 5 a.m. Thursday. He tried to sexually assault a 25-year-old woman inside but was interrupted and fled when the commotion awakened another female resident.
Investigators have released only a vague description of the suspect, who managed to steal some items from the home.
Residents on the block of mostly three-flat rentals say they're glad police have issued an alert.
"Just keep locking my door. Obviously it's worrisome if someone's breaking in, trying to steal property or trying to sexually assault individuals," said Farjad Yousaf, Lakeview resident.
"That is scary, and I'm thinking at 5 a.m. this morning, I was still sleeping. So it is quite a concern," said Denise Bernardo, Lakeview resident. "Just be alert of our surroundings and try to get a good night's sleep I guess."
"You just have to keep your guard up. But your guard goes down when you're in your own apartment, so I can't imagine going through something like that," said Jamison Miles, Lakeview resident.
On Thursday night, the Guardian Angels were out in the neighborhood where the crime took place.
"It's pretty crazy, and it's definitely horrible to hear about. But we live in a huge city, and these things happen," said Claire Schaul, Lakeview resident.
Anyone with information about this crime is asked to contact Chicago police.
local, eric horng
- Patients may have gotten contaminated injections at Illinois clinic 7 min ago
- 2nd video released allegedly shows guard push student 36 min ago
- Memorial Day travel: Illinois roadways, airports busy
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- James Ealy guilty in 2006 Burger King murder 18 min ago
- South Loop shooting injures 2
- $1.5M boat catches fire, trespasser arrested
- Distance not the issue with CPS safe passage
- Boy runs away from attempted kidnapper at Bell
- Elgin teens building home for tornado victim
- Concealed carry bill passes Illinois House
- Photos: Skagit River Bridge Collapse on I-5
- Bears to retire Mike Ditka number
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO Scolded By 9-Year-Old
- Patients may have gotten contaminated...
7 min ago
- 2nd video released allegedly shows guard...
36 min ago