Man struck, killed by car near Roseland Hospital
August 17, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A man was struck and killed on his way to work to pick up his paycheck which he was going to use to buy an engagement ring.
Kenneth Collins was on the sidewalk outside Roseland Hospital near 111th and State Street.when he was hit by the car. The 43-year-old recently started working for Roseland Hospital as a youth counselor.
"It's a loss to his family and it's hard to believe," said Alice Collins, victim's mother.
"I went up to talk to the staff that he worked with and they were just very distraught because he was such a well-respected young man," said Diane Powell, Roseland Hospital president and CEO.
Investigators say the accident happened around 7 a.m. as Collins arrived at the South Side hospital. Witnesses say that's when the driver of a sedan lost control of his vehicle and veered onto the sidewalk striking Collins.
Friends say Collins insisted on getting his check on Friday because he wanted to buy an engagement ring for his fiancee.
"I'm just shocked and hurt. He was a really good man and we'll all miss him," said fiancée Alicia Penn, in tears.
Collins was completing his Ph.D. at DePaul and after working as a sheriff's deputy at the Cook County jail devoted his life to helping young black man.
"He was a family person. He loved his family. He loved God. He loved the community," said Alice Colins.
Police say after the accident the driver of the vehicle involved did stay at the scene. It is unclear if the driver was injured or if the citations have been issued.
local, evelyn holmes
- Illinois Lottery bounced checks for 8 winners
- Shootings leave 2 dead, several injured
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Protesters to march against CPS closings
- Man charged with making video in hospital bathroom
- Teens accused of assault, posting on Facebook
- Event to raise awareness about missing persons
- Probe begins after Conn. commuter trains crash
- Astronaut Lovell to dedicate Chicago memorial garden
- IRS probe ignored most influential groups
- Rose, Davies among honorees at Silver Circle Awards
- Maria's final class graduating
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin