Charges expected in Northwest Side crash into house
August 21, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Reckless driving charges are expected after a van slammed into a home near Devon and Kolmar on the city's Northwest Side early Tuesday morning.
Adel Fakhoury and his family were asleep when the van struck their house in the Sauganash community. The van came through the front window of their living room. A second vehicle, a Toyota Camry, came to a halt in their lawn and was still smoking more than an hour later.
"We were scared. We thought it was going to explode, or fire so close to the house, so I made sure all my family was out," Adel Fakhoury said. "It caught on fire, and I seen people laying in the grass. We ran inside to make sure everybody was out. And the police show up."
"We were shaken up," Ramez Fakhoury said, "but as long as everyone is OK, that is what we care about."
Five men between the ages of 20 and 25 were inside the Camry. Police say the driver of that car was driving recklessly when he lost control and crashed. Witnesses told officials they had seen the car doing donuts in a nearby parking lot before pulling out onto the street.
"When I first walked outside, I saw a gentleman try to get out of his car. As I turned around, the driver of the Toyota Camry was basically sprawled out against the lawn and that is when I ran back inside and grabbed the phone to call 911," Fakhoury said.
The people inside the van are OK. Four of the five young men in the Camry were taken to the hospital, where one of them is in serious condition. Injuries are not life-threatening.
Police expect the driver of the car will at least be charged with reckless driving.
local, linda yu
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Early voting for primary races ends Saturday
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...