Charges expected in Northwest Side crash into house
August 21, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Reckless driving charges are expected after a van slammed into a home near Devon and Kolmar on the city's Northwest Side early Tuesday morning.
Adel Fakhoury and his family were asleep when the van struck their house in the Sauganash community. The van came through the front window of their living room. A second vehicle, a Toyota Camry, came to a halt in their lawn and was still smoking more than an hour later.
"We were scared. We thought it was going to explode, or fire so close to the house, so I made sure all my family was out," Adel Fakhoury said. "It caught on fire, and I seen people laying in the grass. We ran inside to make sure everybody was out. And the police show up."
"We were shaken up," Ramez Fakhoury said, "but as long as everyone is OK, that is what we care about."
Five men between the ages of 20 and 25 were inside the Camry. Police say the driver of that car was driving recklessly when he lost control and crashed. Witnesses told officials they had seen the car doing donuts in a nearby parking lot before pulling out onto the street.
"When I first walked outside, I saw a gentleman try to get out of his car. As I turned around, the driver of the Toyota Camry was basically sprawled out against the lawn and that is when I ran back inside and grabbed the phone to call 911," Fakhoury said.
The people inside the van are OK. Four of the five young men in the Camry were taken to the hospital, where one of them is in serious condition. Injuries are not life-threatening.
Police expect the driver of the car will at least be charged with reckless driving.
local, linda yu
- Freezing rain, snow spreads across NW suburbs 49 min ago
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV 59 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 43 min ago
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting 28 min ago
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons 23 min ago
- 400 tuba players perform at Palmer House Hilton
- Families of murdered children gather at St. Sabina
- Holiday posada offers health insurance help in Pilsen
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
43 min ago
- Freezing rain, snow spreads across NW suburbs
49 min ago
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes...
59 min ago
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood...
28 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos