5 dead, at least 16 wounded in weekend shootings
August 25, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Five people have now been shot and killed in Chicago with at least 16 wounded since Friday night.
The latest happened Saturday afternoon in the Grand Crossing neighborhood.
It's a scene all too familiar as police investigate another fatal shooting that left a recently paroled 20-year-old Christopher Spraggins dead.
"He was just trying to get his life together and he'd been hanging around here for a couple of days with neighborhood people, and was just at the wrong place at the wrong time," said family friend Tina Wilson.
Two others were wounded in the Saturday afternoon attack witnesses say began after two teens began arguing.
"These perpetrators came up and told them to clear the streets, that they were going to start shooting. After they said that, gunfire erupted and you had three people dead," said community activist Andrew Holmes.
And is now a part of the gun violence in Chicago that killed at least four others and left more than a dozen wounded.
The shootings happened on the city's South Side between late Friday afternoon and early Saturday morning.
Seventeen-year-old Lucian Dreux was killed when someone opened fire near 79th and Drexel.
"Everybody loved him," said Dreux's sister Lakeshia McCaskill. "If you could have seen how many people were out here last night, just showing their love for him, you'd have seen how loved."
Earlier Saturday, a-23-year old man was shot dead during a robbery attempt as he sat in a car eating with his girlfriend.
The attacks represent the violence the community and others hope to stop with activities like the Peace Fest and Back-to-School Rally.
"We're got children shot almost every day, so that's why this kind of event is important," said 3rd Ward Alderman Pat Dowdle.
"Most of our violence in gang related," said Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy. "Much of it is narcotics game related, so that they argue over turf and get into these violent disputes with each other and that's how people get hurt."
local, evelyn holmes
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead 31 min ago
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine 10 min ago
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Wind Chill Advisory in effect for city, suburbs
- Chicago Skyway reopened after 5 injured in accident
- Renee Fleming, Yo Yo Ma celebrate CPS arts program 46 min ago
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Chicago Children's Choir alumni reunite to honor Mandela 55 min ago
- Family searching for missing Lansing man
- 2 moms seek answers in sons' police shooting deaths
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from...
- Man sues, alleging victimization by convicted priest
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead
31 min ago
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe...
10 min ago