3 teens arrested after CPD officer wounded in shooting
August 30, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Chicago police officer is recovering from surgery after being shot and wounded at 1300 West 112th Wednesday night in Morgan Park.
Three teenagers are in custody, with one of them hospitalized.
The 35-year-old police officer is recovering at Christ Medical Center after he was shot in the leg by a teenage boy.
The shooting took place around 8 p.m. near Racine and 112th Place. Police say officers from the Area South Gun Team were conducting an investigation and approached three teenage boys. The suspects fled, police say.
Police chased one 15-year-old boy and engaged in a gun battle, which led to the shooting of the five-year veteran officer. The officer fired back, injuring the suspect, who was also taken to Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn. A weapon was recovered at the scene, police say.
"Our folks did a great job. Thank God he is OK. He's in pain. He is annoyed, but we're all satisfied that at least we won this one, and hopefully it doesn't happen again, but obviously, they did a great job and I couldn't be more proud," said Police Supt. Garry McCarthy.
"Clear as day, felt like we were at war almost," said Terrell Sampson, who said he heard about a dozen gunshots and said he he has seen at least a dozen teenagers starting trouble unsupervised at night in his otherwise quiet neighborhood.
"You have to look of this community. We have so much out of control with these kids right now. It is like you can lead them to the water but you cannot make them drink," Sampson said.
"I heard two shots and six or seven more behind that. It sounded like they were back there. When we went outside, police were coming from everywhere, and they ran through our back yard," said Devita Smith.
McCarthy said the officer, who has three children, will be fine but is fighting the pain.
"At this point, the officer is in good shape. He is going into surgery. His family is here and notified. They are in good spirits, and frankly, we are very fortunate tonight and very happy that our officer is OK," McCarthy said.
local, jason knowles
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs
- Man shot to death in Logan Square
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Boy, 7, allegedly brings loaded gun to Elgin school
- Metra Rock Island train hits car on South Side 48 min ago
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson
- Fatally shot alleged robber suspected in Harvey cop shooting 51 min ago
- No re-trial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice
- Baby who died after being left home alone ID'd
- Coyote attacks on small dogs reported in Wheaton
- Indiana schools delayed by cold snap
- Man arrested in shooting of Garfield Park pharmacist
- abcnews: 911 calls in Jameis Winston case