'Fraudulent dentist' arrested for operating unlicensed Melrose Park practice
August 31, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Chicago man was arrested Thursday for impersonating a dentist.
For the last year, Alberto Nunez performed hundreds of dental procedures on patients at his unlicensed Melrose Park dental practice, according to Cook County Sheriff's police.
Nunez, who lives in the 7800-block of South Kenton, allegedly operated out of a home in the 2000-block of North Emerson in unincorporated Cook County.
Nunez faces a felony charge for practicing dentistry without a license and a misdemeanor charge for unlawful possession of hypodermic syringes.
Inside the home on Emerson, police say they found a dental chair, lights, plates, tools, syringes, an x-ray machine and much more. Police allege Nunez performed a range of dental procedures, including root canals, bite impressions, cleanings, x-rays, surgical dental procedures and braces.
Police say Nunez claims he went to dental school in Mexico City, but he could not provide documentation that he completed the program.
"Based on statements made by Nunez," Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart said in a press release, "it is believed he has been 'in practice' for approximately two years, had another location before this current one, and saw roughly 30 patients each week."
Nunez was issued a $10,000 bond Friday. His next court date is scheduled for September 6.
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Janet Rowley, U of C cancer research pioneer, dies at 88
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Naperville votes to allow MMA fights, with restrictions
- Mom honors son's memory by delivering toys to sick children
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without tax breaks
- Durbin presses regulators to prevent tanker tragedies
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station 35 min ago
- Chicago FOP president suspended
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus