3rd death linked to Legionnaires' disease outbreak at Chicago JW Marriott Hotel
August 31, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A third death has been linked to confirmed cases of Legionnaires' disease among guests at the JW Marriott Hotel in downtown Chicago.
Public health officials say the likely source of that outbreak is the hotel's main fountain in the lobby.
"We took it upon ourselves to actually remove the fountain out of the lobby," said Catherine Mrowiec, general manager, JW Marriot.
The Chicago Department of Public Health says it now has 10 confirmed cases of the disease.
Guests who became ill stayed at the hotel from July 16 through August 15.
For most patients, the symptoms of Legionnaires are mild and include headache, fever, chills and cough. But for some patients, especially those with respiratory distress, it can be more serious and sometimes fatal for those who develop pneumonia. Doctors say it is almost always is spread through aerosolized water from fountains, showers, hot tubs or other sources.
"The bacteria is everywhere. In muddy water, the ground, soil ... once it gets into the atmosphere, it gets aerosolized and you get enough of it up in there , that's when it becomes a problem," said Dr. Mark DeSilva, Gottlieb Hospital.
Decorative water fountains can even be a problem in typically healthy environments like hospitals.
In a news release, the health department says, "There is no ongoing risk to Chicagoans."
local, john garcia
- $590M-plus Powerball: winning ticket sold in Fla
- CPS teachers continue citywide marches
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 12 arrested after rowdiness reports near Michigan Avenue
- Blackhawks fall to Red Wings 4-1, series evened, 1-1
- Triple Crown spoiled; Oxbow upsets Orb
- Daily Herald: Gender Pay Gap 15 min ago
- 2 split $190M Mega Millions jackpot
- Shootings leave 3 dead, several injured
- Man charged with recording video in hospital bathroom
- Coast Guard reminding boaters of maritime safety
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
- Injuries in suburban shootings Friday night
- CTA Red Line reconstruction officially...
40 min ago
- Aguamiel serves up regional cuisine
31 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos