3rd death linked to Legionnaires' disease outbreak at Chicago JW Marriott Hotel
August 31, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A third death has been linked to confirmed cases of Legionnaires' disease among guests at the JW Marriott Hotel in downtown Chicago.
Public health officials say the likely source of that outbreak is the hotel's main fountain in the lobby.
"We took it upon ourselves to actually remove the fountain out of the lobby," said Catherine Mrowiec, general manager, JW Marriot.
The Chicago Department of Public Health says it now has 10 confirmed cases of the disease.
Guests who became ill stayed at the hotel from July 16 through August 15.
For most patients, the symptoms of Legionnaires are mild and include headache, fever, chills and cough. But for some patients, especially those with respiratory distress, it can be more serious and sometimes fatal for those who develop pneumonia. Doctors say it is almost always is spread through aerosolized water from fountains, showers, hot tubs or other sources.
"The bacteria is everywhere. In muddy water, the ground, soil ... once it gets into the atmosphere, it gets aerosolized and you get enough of it up in there , that's when it becomes a problem," said Dr. Mark DeSilva, Gottlieb Hospital.
Decorative water fountains can even be a problem in typically healthy environments like hospitals.
In a news release, the health department says, "There is no ongoing risk to Chicagoans."
local, john garcia
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 1 dead in fire at Woodstock residence
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- 'Shady Bandit' suspected in North Side bank robbery
- Chicago Tribune endorses Bruce Rauner in GOP primary
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Kustok's daughter not called to stand as defense begins
- Jewel-Osco buys 5 former Dominick's stores
- Elmhurst Armpit Orchestra in St. Patrick's Day parade
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant