Labor Day marks the unofficial end of summer for Chicagoans
September 3, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Labor Day marks the unofficial end of summer, and Chicagoans made the most of the symbolic day.
Chicagoans celebrated the contributions of American workers by marching in the streets.
The Wellington Oakdale Old Glory Marching Society, known as WOOGMS, held its 49th annual parade.
"The same idea has been around from the beginning, everyone marches, nobody watches and the kids just love to come out," said Tony Weismann, the parade's marshall.
Other Chicagoans spent the day relaxing at the beach. For Catrell Bogan and his friends, Labor Day meant the last taste of summer before school begins.
"It's the last day. Make it fun and exciting before we go back to school," said Bogan.
Likewise, families spent Labor Day outdoors before cooler temperatures arrive.
"We're going out to the water for a little bit. The kids are building sand castles. We're grilling out and enjoying the day," said Neil Johnson.
After 10 years, the Mora family still chooses to spend the Labor Day holiday in the same spot every year-- the 31st Street Beach.
"It's the playgrounds, the beach, everything, the grass," said Yesica Mora. "It's a little bit of shade and a nice beach. They just redid it. It's great."
With the newly opened harbor and areas to picnic, it's no wonder families are flocking here to enjoy the city views.
local, diane pathieu
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos