Labor Day marks the unofficial end of summer for Chicagoans
September 3, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Labor Day marks the unofficial end of summer, and Chicagoans made the most of the symbolic day.
Chicagoans celebrated the contributions of American workers by marching in the streets.
The Wellington Oakdale Old Glory Marching Society, known as WOOGMS, held its 49th annual parade.
"The same idea has been around from the beginning, everyone marches, nobody watches and the kids just love to come out," said Tony Weismann, the parade's marshall.
Other Chicagoans spent the day relaxing at the beach. For Catrell Bogan and his friends, Labor Day meant the last taste of summer before school begins.
"It's the last day. Make it fun and exciting before we go back to school," said Bogan.
Likewise, families spent Labor Day outdoors before cooler temperatures arrive.
"We're going out to the water for a little bit. The kids are building sand castles. We're grilling out and enjoying the day," said Neil Johnson.
After 10 years, the Mora family still chooses to spend the Labor Day holiday in the same spot every year-- the 31st Street Beach.
"It's the playgrounds, the beach, everything, the grass," said Yesica Mora. "It's a little bit of shade and a nice beach. They just redid it. It's great."
With the newly opened harbor and areas to picnic, it's no wonder families are flocking here to enjoy the city views.
local, diane pathieu
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014 46 min ago
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River 5 min ago
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Early voting for primary races ends Saturday
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- CPD officer remembered as 'true blue knight'
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...
- Disabled lawyer devoted to making world accessible