Girl, 5, struck and killed by car
September 3, 2012 (HIGHLAND PARK, Ill.) (WLS) -- A 5-year-old girl was killed after being hit by a car while walking with her mother and two brothers when a driver ran up on the sidewalk.
The mother and sons were also injured.
This happened in the 700 block of Central in Highland Park's business district.
The 25-year-old mother, Modesta Santos, is at Highland Park Hospital. She learned a short time ago of the death of her 5-year-old daughter. Jaclyn Santos-Sacramento died from injuries suffered when the driver ran up onto the sidewalk and hit her, according to witnesses.
The young mother was with her three young children, apparently walking home from the Walgreens across the street from where they live. They had just left the store after buying some food.
Police say they are still investigating the incident and have not yet determined whether they will file any charges against the driver, who happens to be an 18-year-old from Highland Park.
The mayor of Highland Park issued a statement Monday night offering condolences to the family.
The father of the children, the wife of the woman still hospitalized, said he is hoping for justice in this case.
The other children, two and four years old, have been treated and released. Modesta Santos will be admitted to the hospital.
local, john garcia
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase
- Senate candidate criticized for trip before election
- Brief warmup followed by snow
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Orr Academy basketball player back in game after shooting
- Body found near Ind. river where woman last seen
- Digital assets becoming part of estate planning
- I-Team: Billionaire arrested on Chicago corruption charges
- Con men targeting Mount Greenwood senior citizens
- Former Will Co. jail inmate sues over alleged excessive force
- State Rep. race in SW suburbs heats up
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1
- abcnews: Chris Brown Arrested for Violating Probation