Girl, 5, struck and killed by car
September 3, 2012 (HIGHLAND PARK, Ill.) (WLS) -- A 5-year-old girl was killed after being hit by a car while walking with her mother and two brothers when a driver ran up on the sidewalk.
The mother and sons were also injured.
This happened in the 700 block of Central in Highland Park's business district.
The 25-year-old mother, Modesta Santos, is at Highland Park Hospital. She learned a short time ago of the death of her 5-year-old daughter. Jaclyn Santos-Sacramento died from injuries suffered when the driver ran up onto the sidewalk and hit her, according to witnesses.
The young mother was with her three young children, apparently walking home from the Walgreens across the street from where they live. They had just left the store after buying some food.
Police say they are still investigating the incident and have not yet determined whether they will file any charges against the driver, who happens to be an 18-year-old from Highland Park.
The mayor of Highland Park issued a statement Monday night offering condolences to the family.
The father of the children, the wife of the woman still hospitalized, said he is hoping for justice in this case.
The other children, two and four years old, have been treated and released. Modesta Santos will be admitted to the hospital.
local, john garcia
- CPS adds 3 schools to turnaround list 3 min ago
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978
- Van driver dies in fiery CTA bus crash, ID'd as Eric West, Jr.
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 2 officers struck by car in West Side alley
- BNSF Metra trains moving again after semi crash at Kedzie 12 min ago
- Loyola: Student Lucas Fleisher found OK 54 min ago
- Carla Oglesby, ex-Todd Stroger aide, gets 6.5 years
- Chase preceded Roseland bus stop crash that injured 5
- Iceberg twice size of Atlanta drifts away from Antarctica
- Man arrested after Kilbourn Park standoff with kids, dog
- Maywood man charged in fatal West Side hit-and-run
- Park Ridge pole crash causes power outage
- Tractor stolen from Beecher exotic-animal shelter
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos