Girl, 5, struck and killed by car
September 3, 2012 (HIGHLAND PARK, Ill.) (WLS) -- A 5-year-old girl was killed after being hit by a car while walking with her mother and two brothers when a driver ran up on the sidewalk.
The mother and sons were also injured.
This happened in the 700 block of Central in Highland Park's business district.
The 25-year-old mother, Modesta Santos, is at Highland Park Hospital. She learned a short time ago of the death of her 5-year-old daughter. Jaclyn Santos-Sacramento died from injuries suffered when the driver ran up onto the sidewalk and hit her, according to witnesses.
The young mother was with her three young children, apparently walking home from the Walgreens across the street from where they live. They had just left the store after buying some food.
Police say they are still investigating the incident and have not yet determined whether they will file any charges against the driver, who happens to be an 18-year-old from Highland Park.
The mayor of Highland Park issued a statement Monday night offering condolences to the family.
The father of the children, the wife of the woman still hospitalized, said he is hoping for justice in this case.
The other children, two and four years old, have been treated and released. Modesta Santos will be admitted to the hospital.
local, john garcia
- CTU vows not to re-elect mayor over school closings
- Chicago fast food workers protest for higher wages
- Police: Drive safely, buckle up on holiday weekend
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Brian Urlacher retires from NFL after career with Chicago Bears
- Census bureau finds Chicago is growing, but slowly
- Northlake man to be sentenced after kids found tied
- Jurors to resume deliberations at Trump trial
- Man sentenced in murder after alleged ad for sex with pregnant...
- Wayne Miller dies at 94; photos chronicled black Chicago life
- Ex-student allegedly threatened Glenbard East HS
- 2 bodies found in car in West Englewood
- Palmer House Hilton up for sale
- abcnews: Twitter Beefs Up User Security
- 7 in :77