Illinois State Rep. Deborah Mell recovering after breast cancer surgery
September 4, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- State Rep. Deborah Mell is ''doing extremely well" following surgery she underwent last month to treat Stage 1 invasive breast cancer, according to her surgeon.
The 44-year-old state congresswoman had a bilateral mastectomy performed at University of Chicago Medicine on August 10. She was first diagnosed with early stage cancer in June.
"She's out of the woods," said Mell's surgeon, Dr. Nora Jaskowiak, MD, associate professor of surgery at the University of Chicago Medicine. "She is expected to do very well."
The hospital said a press release Tuesday that Mell chose to undergo the procedure because of a strong history of breast cancer in her family.
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet 43 min ago
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
- HS basketball player shines despite disabilty
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Boston Marathon bombing comment no threat to St. Patrick's Day... 49 min ago
- CTA Green Line briefly interrupted
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
- Teacher's aide posed as teen to meet girls online
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Lawmakers say DCFS faces 'horrendous' challenges
- Free small business expo begins in Chicago
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD