Illinois State Rep. Deborah Mell recovering after breast cancer surgery
September 4, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- State Rep. Deborah Mell is ''doing extremely well" following surgery she underwent last month to treat Stage 1 invasive breast cancer, according to her surgeon.
The 44-year-old state congresswoman had a bilateral mastectomy performed at University of Chicago Medicine on August 10. She was first diagnosed with early stage cancer in June.
"She's out of the woods," said Mell's surgeon, Dr. Nora Jaskowiak, MD, associate professor of surgery at the University of Chicago Medicine. "She is expected to do very well."
The hospital said a press release Tuesday that Mell chose to undergo the procedure because of a strong history of breast cancer in her family.
- Bitter cold expected to last through the weekend
- Nelson Mandela condolence books open, tribute held
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 57 min ago
- Northern Illinois Huskies fall to Bowling Green 47-27
- Schaumburg woman missing since October found
- Vigil held for Khaseem Greene's cousin killed in NJ
- Blackhawks championship ring offered in raffle
- Family: Boy, 6, suffers post-traumatic stress after shooting
- Girl, 13, charged in Olympia Fields fatal crash that killed boy
- Barrington leader trying to prevent next tanker tragedy
- 'Heart and Soul' - Saturday, Dec. 7, 6 p.m.
- Photos: Christmas Tree Ship arrives at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Made in America 2013: Gift Ideas
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
57 min ago