Illinois State Rep. Deborah Mell recovering after breast cancer surgery
September 4, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- State Rep. Deborah Mell is ''doing extremely well" following surgery she underwent last month to treat Stage 1 invasive breast cancer, according to her surgeon.
The 44-year-old state congresswoman had a bilateral mastectomy performed at University of Chicago Medicine on August 10. She was first diagnosed with early stage cancer in June.
"She's out of the woods," said Mell's surgeon, Dr. Nora Jaskowiak, MD, associate professor of surgery at the University of Chicago Medicine. "She is expected to do very well."
The hospital said a press release Tuesday that Mell chose to undergo the procedure because of a strong history of breast cancer in her family.
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing rain
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates