Storms sweep through Chicago area, leave mess behind
September 5, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A sudden storm left residents of the city and suburbs cleaning up the damage from strong winds Wednesday.
A tree, limbs and branches blocked a street in a Glenview neighborhood, downed by powerful gusts overnight. Equipment was brought in to clear the debris away.
In north suburban Skokie, as well, trees were toppled in residential areas when the storm hit.
In Chicago, a fire at an apartment building on the Northwest Side was likely sparked by a lightning strike.
On city's the West Side, a streetlight snapped in the wind, blocking the street and causing some damage to power lines.
- 2 hurt in North Side crash 2 min ago
- Malaysia jet may have turned back 43 min ago
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this' 2 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 31 min ago
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
31 min ago
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through...
2 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos