Teen charged in 5-year-old's death in Highland Park
September 5, 2012 (HIGHLAND PARK, Ill.) (WLS) -- Prosecutors have filed charges against an 18-year-old driver in the death of a 5-year-old girl in Highland Park.
Jaquelin Santos Sacramento was killed Monday night when she was walking with her mother and two brothers in the 700-block of Central Avenue. Police say Carly Rousso, 18, of Highland Park, drove onto the sidewalk, hitting all four members of the family who suffered injuries. They were transported to the hospital where Jaquelin died a short time later.
Highland Park Mayor Nancy Rotering expressed anger over why charges hadn't been filed in the case two days after the crash. Rotering said, "the City Council, staff and I are frustrated by the delayed manner in which this case is being handled. Releasing the driver with no restrictions was a decision of the state's attorney. This was a mistake and we are demanding an explanation."
The state's attorney later said the case was being handled in the same manner as other cases of this magnitude.
Charges were filed hours after the mayor's letter was released to the public.
Late Wednesday night, Rousso was also cited with driving under the influence. More charges could be filed depending on the outcome of more blood tests and forensic analysis.
The Highland Park community has begun a fundraising effort for the Santos family. Donation can be mailed to the Highland Park Community Foundation, P.O. Box 398, Highland Park, Ill. Donations can also be made on the following website: www.indiegogo.com/indiantrailmemorialfund.
A peace walk in honor of Jaquelin is scheduled for Thursday.
local, cheryl burton
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs 36 min ago
- Man shot to death in Logan Square
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Baby who died after being left home alone ID'd
- Man arrested in shooting of Garfield Park pharmacist 54 min ago
- Chicago artist created pope's image for Time cover 51 min ago
- Metra UP West train delayed by freight train 9 min ago
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine
- Chicago Skyway reopened after 5 injured in accident
- Renee Fleming, Yo Yo Ma celebrate CPS arts program
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Chicago Children's Choir alumni reunite to honor Mandela
- abcnews: 911 calls in Jameis Winston case 53 min ago
- Ugly Christmas sweater store pops up in...
32 min ago
- Chicago artist created pope's image for...
51 min ago