Teen charged in 5-year-old's death in Highland Park
September 5, 2012 (HIGHLAND PARK, Ill.) (WLS) -- Prosecutors have filed charges against an 18-year-old driver in the death of a 5-year-old girl in Highland Park.
Jaquelin Santos Sacramento was killed Monday night when she was walking with her mother and two brothers in the 700-block of Central Avenue. Police say Carly Rousso, 18, of Highland Park, drove onto the sidewalk, hitting all four members of the family who suffered injuries. They were transported to the hospital where Jaquelin died a short time later.
Highland Park Mayor Nancy Rotering expressed anger over why charges hadn't been filed in the case two days after the crash. Rotering said, "the City Council, staff and I are frustrated by the delayed manner in which this case is being handled. Releasing the driver with no restrictions was a decision of the state's attorney. This was a mistake and we are demanding an explanation."
The state's attorney later said the case was being handled in the same manner as other cases of this magnitude.
Charges were filed hours after the mayor's letter was released to the public.
Late Wednesday night, Rousso was also cited with driving under the influence. More charges could be filed depending on the outcome of more blood tests and forensic analysis.
The Highland Park community has begun a fundraising effort for the Santos family. Donation can be mailed to the Highland Park Community Foundation, P.O. Box 398, Highland Park, Ill. Donations can also be made on the following website: www.indiegogo.com/indiantrailmemorialfund.
A peace walk in honor of Jaquelin is scheduled for Thursday.
local, cheryl burton
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Wicker Park water main break gushes for hours
- Cubs unveil plans for Wrigley's 100th birthday 6 min ago
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC 33 min ago
- Amber Creek murder suspect appears at preliminary hearing 23 min ago
- Resurfacing project begins to fill potholes 35 min ago
- Gurnee man sentenced in sex assaults of 2 kids
- Huntley teen charged, allegedly crashed SUV into home
- Truck driver who allegedly molested 11 kids sentenced
- Suit: Wrestler dating ex pushed man down stairs at custody...
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77